How To: Temporary Hire
Jacqueline Bruning for Aiken Center and Spear Street Forest Sciences Lab
Theresa Debarge for Vermont Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Unit
Cathy Trivieres for the ENVS Program at Bittersweet House
Nora Shahoud for the Gund Institute at Johnson House
STEP #1: Think about the duties that are required and the time-frame that this person will be working for you. Based on the duties, determine an hourly rate that is appropriate for the position — you may contact the RSENR Business Service Center for assistance in determining other like positions in the school and what the hourly rate is for these existing positions.
STEP #2: Identify the individual that you would like to hire and make the offer.
STEP #3: Forms. A TEMPORARY WAGE EMPLOYEE MUST NOT BEGIN WORKING AT UVM AND WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ENTER HOURS WORKED UNTIL THE FOLLOWING FORMS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED AND DELIVERED TO THE RSENR BUSINESS SERVICE CENTER. (Please note that there are federal regulations that require forms to be completed prior to employment.) In the event that you need to begin employment and are unable to complete any of the forms listed below, please contact the RSENR Business Service Center for additional guidance and assistance:
- Temporary Employee Payroll Form.
- The Employee Information section is completed by the employee.
- The Position Information section is completed by the supervisor or supervisor delegate.
- The Business Unit # is: 15
- The Department Code is either 57000 or 57060 for the ENVS Program or 57080 for the Gund.
- Include the Job Title and the Job Code. The Code is 0996 for employees paid hourly.
- Enter Start Date; End Date; and Pay Rate.
- Leave Combo Code Field blank. This will be assigned by your Primary Business Support Contact listed above.
- Fill in the chartstring on the bottom of the form. The Account number is 56100.
- Obtain the Supervisor’s signature if this isn’t you; enter the Supervisor Employee ID #; Email, Department, Supervisor’s, Phone #; and Date.
- Form I-9.Page 7 of the form must be completed by the employee on or before the first day of employment. The identification verification on page 8 of the form must be completed within 3 business days of the first day of employment. This form requires the new hire to present themselves and original identification (as outlined in the form’s instruction pages), to be viewed by a UVM Certified I-9 preparer. The RSENR Business Office and HR in Waterman have certified prepares. You may not use copies of identification forms; they must be originals. (Employees visiting from foreign countries, must visit Human Resource in Waterman. If the employee will work remotely and is unable to bring these forms to a UVM I-9 certified preparer, please refer to the Universities’ Operating Procedures for I-9.
The employee will need to print the complete I-9 form, the Remote Hire Authorized Representative Notice Instructions and print University of Vermont Remote Hire Notice Form, , for the notary to complete along with the I9. The notary must fax the completed I-9 and the Remote Hire Form to HR at (802) 656-3476.)
STEP #4: After all of the materials are received by the RSENR Business Service Center a combo code will be assigned and the materials forwarded to Human Resources. An email will be sent to the Supervisor with the combo code and instructions for the temporary employee on how to activate their UVM ID for access into PeopleSoft. It also contains instructions on how to enter the hours worked and instructions on how to approve hours. It is the Supervisor's responsibility to inform their temporary employee of the combo code and the instructions.
Note: For Faculty Only — A delegate form can be completed to authorize someone other than the supervisor to approve hours worked.
Last modified October 31 2016 09:41 AM