University of Vermont

RSENR Business Service Center hiring

How To: Hiring

There are several types of hires and your first step is to decide what type.

Temporary Hire: Temporary Hires are normally short term and often seasonal. These employees are paid by the hour and must enter their time into PeopleSoft on a weekly basis. As supervisor, you are monitoring their work and the time entered. Temporary hires must be identified as Student (currently enrolled with credits) and Non-student at time of hire. It is important not to allow any temporary hire to begin work prior to having all official paperwork on file (federal regulation).

Undergraduate Student Employment: All hiring of undergraduate students is processed via the Student Employment Jobs Board. New supervisors must register for a supervisor account. Supervisors create a job on the jobs board. Supervisors are required to ensure that a valid I9 is on file for any student employee prior to allowing the student to work.   I9 Query process

Funded Graduate Students: Many graduate students of the RSENR are provided a stipend through various sources of funds (grants, graduate college, research incentive). Graduate Research Assistants are funded by grant resources; Graduate Teaching Assistants are funded through general fund resources or Instructional grants. For assistance, contact Kathleen Wells or Rose Feenan.

Unpaid Hire: The Rubenstein School has several Affiliated Organizations whose employees may be set up as Affiliated Organization Employees. They are not paid by UVM, but may be provided with access to some UVM systems (PeopleSoft, email, etc.). Affiliated Organization's must be approved by the University prior to placing any of their employees in the UVM system. Another example of an unpaid hire would be Visiting Scholars and no affiliation agreement is required. For Research Affiliate appointments (unpaid), please see Faculty. For assistance, contact Rose Feenan.

Paid Employees - Faculty: The following positions are considered faculty lines: Tenure/Tenure Track faculty, Research Faculty, and Lecturers. Tenure/Tenure Track faculty must be approved for hire through a process that includes a staffing plan and Provost approval. Research Faculty are funded primarily through external funding and such appointments must be voted on by the faculty of the School. Lecturers can carry full-time equivalency (meaning they are in the FT Union) or can be hired and paid based on courses taught (they may or may not be in the PT Union, depending on their teaching workload). For assistance, contact Rose Feenan.

Paid Employees - Staff: All staff positions are required to have a position description and an established position in the School. Funding for these positions may come from general fund dollars or may be funded for shorter periods of time through grant dollars. For assistance, contact Rose Feenan.

Post Doctoral Associates: Post Doctoral hiring decisions begin with a faculty member who has identified funding for the appointment. UVM formal recruitment processes are not required, but approval by the Dean is required. (If you have a grant to support a Post Doctoral Fellow, please contact Rose Feenan.)

Last modified September 02 2016 10:18 AM