Rubenstein School Perennial Summer Internship Program
Eager, professional and skilled Rubenstein School students working with organizations and companies finding solutions for critical environmental issues. Could there be a better match?
The Perennial Summer Internship Program at the Rubenstein School strives to provide valuable internship opportunities for you, Rubenstein School students, and to build and strengthen relationships with environmental companies, organizations and agencies working on critical issues. This is a competitive internship program and these 12-week, paid, credit-bearing internships range from part-time to full-time. Many of the 2015 Perennial Internships are located in Vermont while others are located in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and New Jersey. Rubenstein School students currently in their first, sophomore, and junior years are eligible to apply for Perennial Internships, unless otherwise noted in an individual internship description. Students graduating in May 2015 are not eligible to apply for Perennial Internships.
Interested in hosting an intern through the Perennial Internship Program?
Interested organizations and companies work closely with the Rubenstein School to design an internship that is robust, professional and beneficial to both the organization/company and the intern. Rubenstein School staff and faculty assist with application review and provide support to both the intern and supervisor throughout the internship. The intern earns academic credit for the internship and is also paid through a cost-share agreement between the host organization/company and the Rubenstein School.
Most internships are 12 weeks long and interns work 20 hours/week. There is flexibility in terms of the hours worked per week. For more info, contact Anna.Smiles-Becker@uvm.edu or call 802-656-3002.
2015 Application Process
[+] Show Application Instructions
It's great that you're planning to apply for a Rubenstein Perennial Summer Internship! Here are step by step instructions for how to apply.
- Review all of the Perennial Internship descriptions listed below. Please do take the time to read through each individual description so that you don't miss a great opportunity by judging an internship solely on its title. You may apply for up to three Perennial Internships.
- Make sure that your resume and cover letter(s) are as strong as they can be. Utilize the resources around you:
- The Rubenstein Stewards are great at reviewing resumes/cover letters and providing helpful feedback – stop by Aiken 219 and be sure to check out their office hours.
- Visit the Career + Experience Hub, 1st Floor Davis Center for a Drop In appointment with a Career Counselor. Mondays-Thursdays 1-4pm, Fridays 1-3pm.
- Stop by Anna Smiles-Becker's (Rubenstein Career Counselor & Internship Coordinator) office (Aiken 220G) to sign up for a resume/cover letter review appointment.
- To apply for a Perennial Internship, you will need to login to Blackboard and then search for the "Rubenstein Perennial Internship Program" in the Organizational Search box on the lower left side of the Blackboard site. Click the arrow to enroll. Upon enrollment, you will be able to apply for a Perennial Internship.
- Each Perennial Internship is listed as an "assignment". To apply for a Perennial Internship, you will need to submit the following by 4pm on Monday, February 9, 2015:
- Resume (through Blackboard)
- Cover letter (through Blackboard)
- One reference (name and contact information for a professor or work/internship supervisor) (through Blackboard)
- One Perennial Internship Recommendation form
- This recommendation form should be completed by a RSENR professor or staff member of your choosing.
- As the applicant, you’ll need to complete the first page of this form, click "save as" and then email the document to your recommender. Your recommender will then complete the second page of the document, click "save as" and then deliver it directly to Anna Smiles-Becker – by email or handwritten in Anna's Aiken mailbox.
- If you are selected to interview for a Perennial Internship, you will be contacted to set up an interview during the week(s) immediately following Spring Break.
2015 Perennial Internship Descriptions (pdfs)
- Avatar Energy, South Burlington, VT - Research and Development Technician
- Clean Energy Development Fund (CEDF), Montpelier, VT - Research Assistant
- Chittenden County Regional Planning Commission, Winooski, VT - Natural Resources & Hazard Mitigation Analyst Intern
- Green Mountain Power, Colchester & Lowell, VT - Kingdom Community Wind (KCW) Public Relations & Operations Assistant
- Hurricane Island Foundation, Hurricane Island, Maine - Science Education Intern
- Intervale Conservation Nursery, Burlington, VT - Nursery Packaging & Shipping Development Intern
- Jericho Research Forest, Jericho, VT - Green Forestry Education Initiative Steward
- Lake Champlain Sea Grant, Burlington, VT - Ecological Design/Water Quality Monitoring Technician
- Northern Forest Canoe Trail, Waitsfield, VT - Stewardship & Protection Intern
- Pine Island Community Farm, Colchester, VT - Farm Intern
- Rubenstein School of Environment & Natural Resources, Burlington, VT - Rubenstein School Greening Intern
- Star Island, Isles of Schoal, NH - Sustainability & Environmental Education Intern
- Sugarbush Resort, Warren, VT - Mountain Operations Summer Intern
- The Land Conservancy of New Jersey, Mt. Olive, NJ - South Branch Perserve Intern
- The Nature Conservancy, Montpelier, VT - Stewardship Assistant
- Triumverate Environmental, Somerville, MA - Environmental Specialist Intern
- USDA Forest Service/Rubenstein School, Aiken Center/Spear St. Research Lab/Field sites in NH & VT- Plant Physiology Research Assistant
- US Fish & Wildlife Service, Essex Junction, VT - Wildlife Biology Intern
- UVM Natural Areas, various locations in VT - Field Intern
- VHB, South Burlington, VT - Environmental Scientist/Technician
- VT Agency of Natural Resources, Dept. of Environmental Conservation Commissioner's Office - Water Quality Policy Assistant
- VT Agency of Natural Resources, Dept. of Environmental Conservation, Montpelier, VT - Green Stormwater Infrastructure Intern
- VT Agency of Natural Resources, Dept. of Environmental Conservation, Lake Champlain & Montpelier, VT - Field Staff, Lake Champlain Monitoring Program
- VT Agency of Natural Resources, Dept. of Environmental Conservation, Waste Management & Prevention Division, Montpelier, VT - Universal Recycling Intern
- VT Agency of Natural Resources, Dept. of Environmental Conservation, Waste Management & Prevention Division, Montpelier, VT - Brownfields Redevelopment Program Intern
- VT Agency of Natural Resources, Dept. of Fish & Wildlife, Montpelier, VT - Outreach & Field Assistant
- Westport Hospitality (Hotel Vermont, Courtyard Burlington Harbor, Marriott TownePlace Suites), Burlington, VT - Hospitality 101 Intern
- Williston Conservation Commission, Williston, VT - Lead Intern
- Williston Conservation Commission, Williston, VT - Entry Level Intern
- Winooski Natural Resources Conservation District, Berlin, VT - Soil & Water Conservation Intern
Last modified January 12 2015 12:41 PM