Rubenstein School Perennial Summer Internship Program
Eager, professional and skilled Rubenstein School students working with organizations and companies finding solutions for critical environmental issues. Could there be a better match?
The Perennial Summer Internship Program at the Rubenstein School strives to provide valuable internship opportunities for you, Rubenstein School students, and to build and strengthen relationships with environmental companies, organizations and agencies working on critical issues. This is a competitive internship program and these 12-week, paid, credit-bearing internships range from part-time to full-time. Many of the 2017 Perennial Internships are located in Vermont while others are located in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, and Washington, DC. Rubenstein School students currently in their sophomore and junior years are eligible to apply for Perennial Internships. Students graduating in May 2017 are not eligible to apply for Perennial Internships.
Interested in hosting an intern through the Perennial Internship Program?
Interested organizations and companies work closely with the Rubenstein School to design an internship that is robust, professional and beneficial to both the organization/company and the intern. Rubenstein School staff and faculty assist with application review and provide support to both the intern and supervisor throughout the internship. The intern earns academic credit for the internship and is also paid through a cost-share agreement between the host organization/company and the Rubenstein School.
Most internships are 12 weeks long and interns work 20 hours/week. There is flexibility in terms of the hours worked per week. For more info, contact Anna.Smiles-Becker@uvm.edu or call 802-656-3002.
[+] Show Application Instructions
It's great that you're interested in applying for a Rubenstein Perennial Summer Internship! Rubenstein School students currently in their sophomore or junior years are eligible to apply. Here are step by step instructions for how to apply.
- Go to the CEMS & RSENR Internship, Co-Op, Research System to view positions & apply.
- You will need to login as follows:
- Login: Netid
- Password: Your 95 #
- Once you’ve logged in, click on RSENR Perennial Summer Internship Application Instructions – 2017 in the Announcements section. Please thoroughly read the application instructions so that you clearly understand the process.
- Take the following steps to view the 2017 Perennial Internship Opportunities:
- Click Position Search (on top blue menu bar)
- Select Internship, Co-Op, Research Search
- Under Position Type, select Rubenstein Perennial Internship -2017
- Click Search
- Please do take the time to read through each individual description so that you don’t miss a great opportunity by judging an internship solely on its title.
- You may apply for up to three Perennial Internships
- All applications are due by midnight, Sunday, January 29, 2017
- You’ll need to upload all required documents (through “My Accounts -> My Documents” on upper left side of screen once you log in) before being able to apply for any Perennial Internships. Please submit documents as pdfs whenever possible. The following are required documents:
- Cover Letter - You should upload and submit unique cover letters for each position to which you’re applying.
- Position Ranking - If you are applying for more than one Perennial Internship, please provide list of the positions in rank order.
- Reference(s) – Provide name & contact information for at least one professional reference (this could be someone who supervised you in a past work/internship/volunteer position, a professor or teacher, etc.)
- Transcript – Login to your my uvm portal, click on the Registrar link, click Request Official Transcript by email, once received save it as a pdf and upload
- Recommendation Form – This required recommendation form should be completed by a RSENR professor or staff member of your choosing. Please provide your recommender this link when you ask if they are willing to complete the form to support your application.
- Your recommender will complete & submit this form online and then your recommendation will be confidentially uploaded to your application(s).
- Once you have uploaded all of the required documents, an “apply” button will appear above the internship description and you will be able to apply for up to three Perennial Internships – selecting the documents you’d like to submit for each position.
- Make sure that your resume and cover letter(s) are as strong as they can be! Utilize the resources around you:
- The Rubenstein Stewards are great at reviewing resumes/cover letters and providing helpful feedback – stop by Aiken 219 and be sure check out their office hours.
- Stop by Anna Smiles-Becker’s (Rubenstein Career Counselor & Internship Coordinator) office (Aiken 220G) to sign up for a resume/cover letter review appointment.
- Visit the Career + Experience Hub, 1st Floor Davis Center for a Drop In appointment with a Career Counselor. Mondays-Thursdays 1-4pm, Fridays 1-3pm.
- A team of Rubenstein School faculty and staff will be reviewing all submitted applications and forwarding materials onto each Perennial site. If you are selected to interview for a Perennial Internship, you will be contacted by the site to set up an interview during late February/early March.
2017 Perennial Internship Descriptions (pdfs)
- Bear Creek Environmental, LLC, Montpelier, VT - Environmental Scientist Perennial Intern
- Chittenden County Regional Planning Commission (CCRPC), Winooski, VT - Water Quality Natural Resources Perennial Intern
- Community Sailing Center (CSC), Burlington, VT - Environmental Educator & Sustainability Perennial Intern
- Earthwatch Institute, Allston, MA - Business Development Intern
- Green Mountain Power, Colchester & Lowell, VT - Kingdom Community Wind and Community Outreach Perennial Intern
- Hurricane Island, Penobscot Bay, Maine - Hurricane Island Center for Science and Leadership Teaching Internship
- Intervale Conservation Nursery, Burlington, VT - Propagation Methods Perennial Intern
- Jericho Research Forest, Jericho, VT - UVM Forest Lands Steward
- Lake Champlain Sea Grant/UVM RSENR, Burlington, VT - Environmental Science Field & Lab Technician
- Land Conservancy of New Jersey, Boonton, NJ - Land Steward Intern
- Professor Carol Adair's Lab, Burlington, Mount Mansfield, Lye Brook Wilderness & other locations, VT - Forest Biogeochemistry Summer Field Intern
- Rubenstein School of Environment & Natural Resources, Burlington, VT, - Rubenstein School Greening & Forest Service Plant Physiology Field Research Intern
- Sheraton Burlington Hotel, Burlington, VT - Sales Intern
- Spatial Analysis Laboratory, Aiken Center, Burlington, VT - UVM Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) Intern
- Star Island, Isles of Shoals, NH - Star Island Sustainability Intern
- Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, Stowe, VT - Resort, Conference Center and Spa Marketing Intern
- The Nature Conservancy, Montpelier, VT - Stewardship Assistant
- Town of Colchester, Town Offices, Colchester, VT - Planning & Zoning Intern
- Town of Milton Planning Division, Milton, VT - Stormwater Planning Internship
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Essex Junction, VT - Habitat Restoration Technician
- UVM Natural Areas, UVM Environmental Program & various UVM Natural Areas in VT - University of Vermont Natural Areas Field Intern
- Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc. (VHB), South Burlington, VT - Environmental Scientist/Technician
- VT Agency of Natural Resources, Dept. of Environmental Conservation, National Life Campus, Montpelier, VT & Statewide - Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Management Program Field Staff Intern
- VT Agency of Natural Resources, Dept. of Environmental Conservation, National Life Campus, Montpelier, VT - Lake Champlain Cyanobacteria Monitoring Project Intern
- VT Agency of Natural Resources, Dept. of Environmental Conservation, National Life Campus, Montpelier, VT - VDEC Watershed Planning and Assessment Intern
- VT Agency of Natural Resources, Dept. of Environmental Conservation, National Life Campus, Montpelier, VT - Bringing the Good Word to the People: Universal Recycling Outreach and Education
- VT Agency of Natural Resources, Dept. of Forests, Parks & Recreation, Montpelier, VT & Statewide - Forest Legacy Program - Easement Monitoring and GIS Intern
- VT Agency of Natural Resources, Dept. of Forests, Parks & Recreation, National Life Campus, Montpelier, VT/Upper Valley Trails Alliance - Trail Finder and GIS Intern
- VT Agency of Natural Resources, Dept. of Fish & Wildlife, Searsburg, VT and the VFWD Springfield District Office - Deerfield Wind Black Bear Study Intern
- VT Agency of Natural Resources, Dept. of Fish & Wildlife, Rutland, VT and field sites around the state - Bat Monitoring and Research
- Vermont Center for Ecostudies, Norwich and Craftsbury, VT - Vermont Center for Ecostudies Mountains and Lakes Field Biology Internship
- Vermont Monitoring Cooperative, Burlington, Mount Mansfield, Lye Brook Wilderness & other locations, VT - Vermont Monitoring Cooperative Forest Health Monitoring Intern
- Waterkeeper Alliance, New York, NY - Waterkeeper Support Intern
- Westport Hospitality - Hotel Vermont, Courtyard Burlington Harbor, Marriott TownePlace Suites, Burlington, VT - Hospitality 101 Intern
- Williston Conservation Commission, Williston Town Offices, Williston, VT - Williston Conservation Commission Summer Intern
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF-US Office in Washington, DC, preferred), Washington, DC - Intern, Wildlife Trade Trend Alerts
Last modified December 15 2016 02:42 PM