Department of Psychological Science
Human Behavioral Pharmacology
Associate Director, Behavioral Pharmacology of Drug Dependence Training Program
Drug abuse treatments for pregnant and postpartum women, including behavioral treatments such as contingency management and pharmacological treatments such as opioid replacement therapies.
Vermont Center on Behavior and Health: The Vermont Center on Behavior and Health (VCBH) has it's headquarters in the Department of Psychiatry located adjacent to the University of Vermont (UVM) campus. The facility contains 8,900 sq ft of office, laboratory, and clinic space for conducting tobacco and other drug self-administration and abuse liability studies as well as testing of behavioral and pharmacological treatments for tobacco, opioid, and other substance use disorders.
- Heil, S.H., Herrmann, E.S., Badger, G.J., Solomon, L.J., Bernstein, I.M., & Higgins, S.T. (in press). Examining the timing of changes in cigarette smoking upon learning of pregnancy. Preventive Medicine.
- Gaalema, D.E., Heil, S.H., Metayer, J.S., & Johnston, A.M. (2013). Time to initiation of treatment for neonatal abstinence syndrome in neonates exposed in utero to buprenorphine or methadone. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 133, 266-269.
- Heil, S.H., Gaalema, D.E., & Herrmann, E.S. (2012). Incentives to promote family planning. Preventive Medicine, 55, Suppl 1, S106-112.
- Heil, S.H., Gaalema, D.E., Johnston, A.M., Sigmon, S.C., Badger, G.J., & Higgins, S.T. (2012). Infant pupillary response to methadone administration during treatment for neonatal abstinence syndrome: A feasibility study. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 126, 268-271.
- Jones, H.E., Kaltenbach, K., Heil, S.H., Stine, S.M., Coyle, M.G., Arria, A.M., O’Grady, K.E., Selby, P., Martin, P.R., & Fischer, G. (2010). Neonatal abstinence syndrome following methadone or buprenorphine exposure. New England Journal of Medicine, 363, 2320-2331. PMC3073631