Department of Psychology
The Department of Psychology offers undergraduate study leading to both the Bachelors of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelors of Science (B.S.) degrees in Psychology; a few of our junior and senior level classes are run as seminars that include laboratory and/or field based research components. Qualified psychology majors also have the opportunity to conduct independent research and an honors thesis option.
The Department also offers graduate study leading to the degrees of Master of Arts (M.A.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). Students seeking a terminal Master's degree are not usually admitted to the graduate program in psychology.
The Department has 25 faculty, 6 faculty with joint-appointments in other departments at UVM, 8 clinical faculty in the Behavior Therapy and Psychotherapy Center, 11 adjunct faculty, and about 750 undergraduate majors, 130 undergraduate minors, and about 55 graduate students at any given time. The Psychology Department is housed in John Dewey Hall, where graduate students are generally assigned office space.
We see our special strengths as follows:
- High quality of our undergraduate and graduate teaching and training.
- A substantial record of accomplishment in conducting research in basic areas of behavior and on the application of basic research to solving important human problems. Our ability to apply sound, empirically-based knowledge to applied issues distinguishes us from other "helping" professions and constitutes one of our major strengths.
- Strong collaborative relationships with researchers outside the Department, both on campus and with other institutions, with a concomitant emphasis on finding common ground in research on the psychological, biological, and social bases of behavior.
- An outstanding track record of obtaining external funding.
- Dedicated and highly competent staff.
- A wide spectrum of orientations - professional, pedagogical, theoretical, methodological, etc. - combined with a friendly, open-minded, and cohesive departmental "culture".
Last modified April 03 2013 02:03 PM