Department of Psychology
A Brief History of the Psychology Department
Anatomy and Physiology Auditorium
Originally the Medical College building, John Dewey Hall was designed by Burlington architect Walter Willcox, and the cornerstone was laid by the Governor of Vermont on July 6, 1904, the centennial of the first commencement at UVM. Facing Colchester Avenue and the University Green, the building's entranceway is flanked by two two-story Ionic columns. Above the entrance, two square windows with criss-cross muntins flank a plaque that reads "University of Vermont College of Medicine 1825-1905".
Above is an early photograph of the steeply pitched Anatomy and Physiology Auditorium now occupied by room 212. The cadavers, raised and lowered on a dumbwaiter located adjacent to the auditorium, were displayed during dissection classes, while patients sat in the front for demonstrations about general medicine. The steep incline afforded all students an excellent view.
The Department Emerges
Professor Donald Forgays at the Dedication of John Dewey Hall, held in Memorial Lounge on September 10, 1969
Other Historical Highlights
|1965||Establishment of a Ph.D. Program in psychology. Chair: Donald G. Forgays|
|1967||First Ph.D. in psychology - Robert J. Lavallee.|
|1969||Establishment of Clinical Ph.D. program. Founder and first Director: Harold Leitenberg|
|1970||Department moves to newly renovated building, John Dewey Hall|
|1972||Establishment of Behavior Therapy and Psychotherapy Center. Founding Director: Harold Leitenberg|
|1973||Clinical program first accredited by the American Psychological Association|
Since the establishment of the Psychology Department in 1937 we have graduated well over 7,000 undergraduate majors in psychology and, as of Commencement 2010, 435 doctoral students. Our mission is the creation, evaluation, dissemination, and application of psychological knowledge and skills to understand and improve the lives of individuals, organizations, and communities.
Last modified September 28 2011 03:03 PM