University of Vermont

Undergraduate Academic Advising

Academic Advising FAQs

Who is my advisor?

An advisor is assigned to you based on your major. If you have not declared a major an advisor is assigned from the department within your college/school. If you are a first-year student in the College of Arts and Sciences enrolled in a TAP class, your advisor is the instructor for your TAP class. If you do not know who your advisor is, you can:

  • Sign on to the Student Information System (SIS) using your ID number (usually, Social Security) and password. Click on "General Academic Data." You should see your advisor listed. To find out his or her phone number and office address, go to the directory, where you can search for faculty and staff.

  • OR, Stop by the main office for your college/school or by the Registrar's Office, 360 Waterman.

Can I change my advisor?

Yes. Check with your school/college about the appropriate process.

What can I expect from my advisor?

Your advisor remains alert to any barriers to your academic performance and will guide you to address these appropriately. Your advisor may also refer you to appropriate academic and support services to enhance both your experience and academic success. Advisors and advisees have a mutual responsiblity to be in touch with one another. Be sure that your advisor has your preferred email address and current phone number. It is expected that during your first two semesters, your advisor will initiate contact with you. After the first two semesters, it is expected that you will maintain regular contact with your advisor. You share equally with your advisor the responsibility of creating a successful advising relationship.

How do I declare a major?

Check with the dean's office of your college/school.

Can I change my major and/or minor?

Check with the dean's office of your college/school.

Can I transfer to another college/school within the university?

Degree students may transfer to another college/school within the university. To do so, see the Dean's office of the college/school you wish to transfer to.

Students wishing to transfer must have a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 2.0. A cumulative GPA of 2.5 is required for admission into teacher licensure programs in the College of Education and Social Services.

Transfers will be approved only if space is available and may be conditional upon your satisfactorily completing requirements set by the new college/school.

Can I double-major in two colleges/schools?

Yes, consult with the dean of your college/school. This would constitute a double degree meaning that you will need to fulfill the degree requirements of two different colleges/schools in addition to two sets of major requirements. Consequently, doing a double degree requires careful planning and consideration.

Am I required to take physical education courses?

Two physical education credits, normally completed during the first and sophomore years, are required of all undergraduate students in four-year degree programs. These credits will be included in the total number of hours for graduation. You may opt to take physical education courses pass/no pass.

If you are pursuing a two-year degree you are required to complete one credit of physical education.

If I am a full-time student, what does my tuition cover?

Full-time students are assessed tuition on a semester basis that covers between 12 and 18 credit hours of course work. If you take fewer than 12 or more than 18 credit hours in a single semester, you are assessed tuition on a per-credit basis.

Is it necessary to carry 12 credit hours to be considered full time?

Yes, all full-time students are required to carry at least 12 credit hours.

What is a course overload, and how do I get it approved?

A course overload is defined as more than 18 credit hours per semester. To get approval for a course overload, you must receive written approval from the dean of your college/school.

How many classes do I have to take to maintain my federal financial aid?

To maintain federal financial aid, you must be a full-time student, which is defined as a student taking 12 or more credit hours per semester. If you are receiving other institutional scholarships, you may have additional requirements, including a specified number of credit hours per semester. For more information, contact your service team in the Office of Financial Aid.

How do I add or drop a course after registration?

Courses may be added or dropped only during the first 10 instruction days of the semester. After the first five instruction days, the instructor may not allow the course to be added if material may not be made up (e.g. laboratories) and if the absence of this work would seriously affect the quality of the student's educational experience.

Can I withdraw from a course after the 10th day of instruction?

From the 11th day of instruction to the end of the ninth week of classes, students may withdraw from courses. To do so you must complete a Withdrawal Form for Incomplete and Late Withdrawals, consult with your advisor, and obtain the instructor's signature. You must deliver the form to the Registrar's Office no later than 4 p.m. on Friday of the ninth week of classes. A grade of W will be assigned by the instructor(s) and recorded on your permanent record. Withdrawn courses are included in the number of credits used for billing purposes.

Can I register for a class that is closed?

Only the instructor of the class or the department chair has the right to grant you permission to add a closed class.

Can I repeat a course if I got a low grade it in the first time?

You may repeat a course, but you will only receive credit for the course once. The grades for all times that you take the course remain on your permanent record and are included in computing the cumulative grade-point average.

Can I take a course Pass/No Pass?

Degree students are permitted to take up to six courses (three courses for students in two-year degrees) on a Pass/No Pass basis, beginning in your sophomore year (second semester for two-year degree students).

Courses in your major department, either for the major or the degree, and electives within the distribution requirements of a department, may not be taken on a Pass/No Pass basis.

To apply, a Pass/No Pass request form, obtained from the Registrar's Office, must be approved by the student's academic advisor and submitted to the Registrar's Office during the first two weeks of the semester.

What are the requirements for Dean's List?

The Dean's List is awarded to full-time undergraduate students with a cumulative grade-point average of not less than 3.0 and in the top 20 percent of each class of their college/school during the preceding semester.

How do I appeal a grade that I received?

If you believe that you have received an unfair grade, you should first contact the Registrar's Office to verify that the grade submitted by the instructor is the same as that printed on the grade report. If it has been reported correctly, then you should contact the instructor, department chair, and dean of the college/school in which the course is offered (in that order) to discuss the matter.

A decision to change a grade can only be made by the instructor. Grade changes must be made by the instructor and approved by the student's dean by the end of the first month of the following semester unless the student's dean grants an extension.

Can I study abroad?

The Office of International Education (OIE), located in Room B161 in Living/Learning Center, is an advising and resource center for students interested in year, semester, or summer overseas study experiences.

How do I change my academic unit?

To change an academic unit contact the dean's office that you are interested in changing into.

Last modified July 20 2007 07:13 PM