Convocation 2018 - Sunday, August 26
Information for New Students - What to Expect
5:15 p.m. - Community Meeting and Dinner
For new students living on campus:
- Resident advisors (RA) provide each new student with a Convocation t-shirt at their community meeting. This UVM tradition invites students to wear a special t-shirt for our Convocation and Twilight Induction Ceremonies.
- At the conclusion of the community meeting and dinner, first-year and new transfer students will walk as a group from their meeting/meal location to Patrick Gymnasium for the Convocation Ceremony.
- At Convocation, students will sit together by community.
For new students living off campus:
- New commuter students are invited to a social dinner prior to Convocation hosted by Orientation & First Year Experience (FYE).
- You will receive an email from our office with more information regarding this event. We ask that you RSVP so that we can plan accordingly for catering.
- You will be provided a Convocation t-shirt at this event, as well as other raffle prizes.
- If you have any questions in the meantime, feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
5:30 p.m. - New Students Begin Arriving at Patrick Gymnasium
- Doors open at 5:30 p.m.
- Before the ceremony begins, students and guests will enjoy music performed by the UVM Pep Band and a slideshow of UVM trivia.
6:30 p.m. - Convocation, Patrick Gymnasium (Mandatory)
- UVM’s president, Tom Sullivan, hosts this annual celebration that marks the official beginning of the academic year.
- Ethan Foley, President of the Student Government Association, will welcome students to campus.
- Brief remarks will be given by President Tom Sullivan and Provost David Rosowsky.
- The ceremony will close with the alma mater performed by the University's a cappella groups.
- At the conclusion of the ceremony, all students will exit Patrick Gymnasium in groups by communities and parade down Main Street to the University Green for the Twilight Induction Ceremony. Ushers will cue students when to exit the gym as well as provide a candle for the Twilight Induction Ceremony.
Immediately Following Convocation - Convocation Parade from Main Street to the University Green (weather permitting). Due to a favorable weather forecast, the parade will continue as originally planned.
8:00 p.m. - Twilight Induction Ceremony, University Green (Mandatory). Due to a favorable weather forecast, the Twilight Induction Ceremony immediately following the Convocation ceremony will be held outdoors on the University Green as originally planned.
- Join your class for your induction into the UVM community with the candlelight ceremony, a unique UVM tradition. (Rain Site: Patrick Gym)
For more information, please call (802) 656-3272 or email: Academic Ceremonies@uvm.edu
Last modified August 26 2018 11:59 AM