Academic Ceremonies - Convocation
June 1, 2012
To: UVM Faculty and Staff
From: John Bramley, President
Re: Convocation 2012 and Summer Reading for Class of 2016
Each fall, we begin the academic year with Convocation, a celebration to usher in the new academic year. Continuing a tradition started five years ago, Convocation will be held the evening before the first day of classes on Sunday, August 26, 2012 in the Roy L. Patrick Gymnasium. I am writing to advise you of this year’s schedule and to encourage your participation.
- President-Elect Thomas Sullivan will address the first-year class at the Convocation Ceremony on Sunday, August 26.
- The Ceremony will begin at 6:00 p.m. in the Patrick Gym. After Convocation, we will adjourn and walk in procession as a community to the University Green for the Class of 2016 Twilight Induction.
- We are requiring all first-year students to read This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women over the summer. The book is based on the popular National Public Radio Series and features eighty essayists completing the title of the book. The series is based on a 1950’s radio series hosted by Edward R. Morrow of the same name. It is also associated with an international organization of the same name: This I Believe.
- Copies of the book are available at the UVM Bookstore. In addition, copies for faculty and staff are available at a 20% discount through the Bookstore with a UVM ID. We expect virtually all of the first-year students to attend Convocation. The occasion will again be a memorable gathering of the campus community.
- While there will be no University-wide curricular component of the first-year summer reading. We invite all members of the community to take the opportunity to read This I Believe and to explore ways to engage in discussions in the fall around the book whether inside or outside the classroom.
Last modified June 06 2012 12:18 PM