University of Vermont

Academic Ceremonies - Commencement

International Students

Information for International Students, Family Members and Visitors

If you are an international student preparing to graduate, you may have family members who would like to travel to Burlington to participate in the Commencement events. To aid your family members/visitors in obtaining a visitor visa for this purpose, please provide them with a letter in English and a letter in your native language stating:

  1. why you want them to visit;
  2. the expected length of the visit;
  3. where your family members will be staying during the visit; who will be paying for the visit.

Include a copy of your I-20 if you are an F-1 visa holder.

You should also provide your family member with a letter, on University letterhead, from your academic advisor or Dean's office indicating that you are an enrolled student at UVM, that you are eligible to graduate and inviting your family members to visit for this purpose. Your family members should bring these letters and the copy of your I-20, along with either a bank statement from you or their own bank statement showing that they have adequate funds to support themselves during the time of their visit and some documentation of land ownership or proof of strong family ties in your native country to the appropriate consular office to obtain a visitor visa.

For further information on applying for a visitor’s visa to enter the United States, visit

Last modified November 13 2011 10:27 AM

Contact UVM © 2019 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131