University of Vermont

Office of the President - Academic Ceremonies

University Seal

The University Seal

The University seal was adopted in 1807 and used until 1871 when it was replaced by a round sseal incorporating the name of the College of Agriculture. In 1975 the Board of Trustees voted to restore the original seal to official use, modified to incorporate the Latin name of the College of Agriculture.  The motto on the seal is from Horace, Epistles 1.2.36.  Literally it mean “For virtuous studies and matters.” In allusion to Horace’s poem it reflects UVM’s continu9ing belief in the utility and practicality of all liberal studies. 

University Seal

The carved seal pictured here is displayed at university ceremonial events.  It was carved by Geno B. Lucarini. Professor Harry Perkins, who served as University Marshal, commissioned the work.

Henry (“Harry”) Farnham Perkins (1877-1956), Class of 1898, was the son of George Henry Perkins, Professor of Natural Sciences and Dean of Arts and Sciences at the University of Vermont.  Harry Perkins was a member of the zoology faculty and served as director of the Robert Hull Fleming Museum from 1931 to 1945.

Geno Blaise Lucarini, Class of 1924, was a native of Rutland, Vermont. He majored in mechanical engineering and was known as “The Professor of Converse Hall” for his academic achievements and studious nature.


Last modified April 27 2010 01:05 PM

Contact UVM © 2019 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131