The 26th President of the University of Vermont
April 11, 2008
From: Daniel Mark Fogel, President
To: University of Vermont Faculty, Staff, and Students
RE: Continuing UVM's Advance: Contexts for a Refocused Strategic Plan
Attached please find two documents, a proposed revision of UVM's
strategic plan (on which you are invited to comment by Friday, April 18)
and a brief
essay in which I have attempted to place UVM's current position and opportunities
in the broad landscape of American higher education at a time of significant
demographic and economic challenges. Allow me, please, to take just a moment
to put the attached documents in context.
In my view the new draft of UVM's strategic plan is a direct, organic development of the Strategic Action Plan of 2000 and its revision as the University Strategic Plan in 2003. In order for UVM to succeed in the face of the predictable challenges that lie before us, it is essential that we continue to build academic quality and fiscal strength through the focused development of distinctive programs.
The plan revision proposed here provides the broad map for our doing so. Identification of the specific routes to be taken in order to attain particular objectives is a project we must undertake together as an academic community in the coming year. We all owe a debt of gratitude to the members of the University Planning Council (UPC); they have worked very hard to produce the draft strategic plan now before you for review and comment.
Our hope is to gather community input on the attached draft, to have the UPC make further revisions in response to that input, and then to bring the revised document through Faculty Senate approval to the Board of Trustees. Once the Trustees have approved the plan, we will move on to engage the whole community next fall in the formulation of action steps designed for achievement of the plan objectives. Accordingly, we are asking that you submit to the UPC by the end of next week any responses you may care to offer to the current draft, including suggestions for revisions, deletions, and additions.
I hope that my essay, "Continuing UVM's Advance: Contexts for a Refocused Strategic Plan," will serve a dual purpose as a helpful environmental scan and as a call to action as we draw multiple processes of planning and assessment into a coherent, unified, and unifying understanding of what we must do together to continue the steady progress we have made since the turn of the century.
I ask that you address responses to the draft strategic plan to John Hughes at firstname.lastname@example.org, with a cc of your response to me, please, at email@example.com. For your information, I am providing a complete list of the UPC membership below. Thanks very much in advance for taking the time to review and comment on the draft plan--and many thanks again to the members of the UPC.
UNIVERSITY PLANNING COUNCIL MEMBERSHIP, 2007-2008
- Professor John M. Hughes, Provost and Senior Vice President, Chair
- Professor Frances Carr, Vice President for Research and Dean of the Graduate School
- Mr. Fred A. Curran, Director, Institutional Studies
- Dr. Gary Derr, Chief of Staff to the Provost and the President
- Mr. Marcus Diamond, Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations
- Professor Cynthia J. Forehand, Anatomy and Neurobiology
- Professor Richard Galbraith, Medicine
- Mr. J. Michael Gower, Vice President for Finance and Administration
- Professor Domenico Grasso, Dean College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
- Mr. Thomas Gustafson, Vice President for Student and Campus Life
- Dr. Wanda Heading-Grant, Associate Provost
- Professor Dale Jaffe, Sociology and Special Assistant to the Provost
- Professor Rachel Johnson, Dean, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Associate Professor Jane Knodell, Economics and Special Assistant to the Provost
- Mr. Christopher Lucier, Vice President for Enrollment Management
- Associate Professor Kathleen Manning, Education and Social Services
- Ms. Karen Meyer, Vice President for Federal, State, and Community Relations
- Ms. Mara Saule, Dean of Libraries
- Professor Jill Tarule, Associate Provost
- Associate Professor Deane Wang, Ecosystem and Landscape Ecology
- Richard and Pamela Ader Green and Gold Professor Robyn Warhol-Down, English
- Mr. Ted Winfield, Associate Vice President, Finance and Administration
Last modified April 27 2008 07:19 PM