The 26th President of the University of Vermont

Tuition Remission: Certification of Dependents Now in PeopleSoft

Making Faculty and Staff Aware of the New Online Process

Detail of a Bench at the University of Vermont

Faculty and Staff seeking to access tuition remission for a dependent must certify/recertify that individual as a dependent on a regular basis. Certification is typically made prior to the start of each academic year, except that certification is required EACH SEMESTER for a dependent in any of the following categories:

  1. Spouses
  2. Students attending Vermont Technical College
  3. Students in the Guaranteed Admission Program (GAP)
  4. Students taking more than 18 credits in a semester (requires special handling by HRS)

Certification used to involve filling out and signing a printed form, but the new process for dependent children is accomplished through PeopleSoft Self Service. (Spouses must still be certified by paper form.) The online PeopleSoft certification process is quick and straightforward in most cases, though supporting documentation is required for dependent students in these four situations:

  • Dependents taking fewer than 12 credits
  • Dependents not listed on your tax return (including married dependents)
  • Dependents beginning a degree program after the age of 21 as the result of full-time military service
  • Dependents seeking tuition remission for summer session courses

For more information and a step-by-step guide through the certification process (including information on supporting documentation), see the Dependent Certification for Tuition Remission mini-manual on the HRS website.

For specific guidelines around tuition remission, non-represented staff should see the Non-Represented Staff Handbook; members of bargaining units should refer to their collective bargaining agreement.

Questions? HRSinfo@uvm.edu.

Contact UVM © 2014 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131