Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions

Who can study abroad?

Everyone! Traveling and studying abroad is probably easier than you think. Find out how to get started and your eligibility.

When can I study abroad?

Most students go abroad their junior year, but a number of students also study abroad during their sophomore and senior years. You should discuss your interest in going abroad with your academic advisor as early as possible. Degree requirements could affect both the timing and duration of your study abroad program. Your academic advisor will help you choose appropriate courses and create a plan for fitting a study abroad experience into your academic career.

Where can I go?

UVM has an extensive list of approved programs in countries spanning the globe. UVM students have studied in Africa, Europe, the Middle East, Canada, Latin America, Asia and Oceania. Learn more in the choosing your program section.

How long can I study abroad for?

There are many options tailored to fit your interests, budget and time limitations. You may study abroad anywhere from two weeks up to a full year. Summer programs and UVM faculty-led programs are also a great option for those who are tied to campus during the academic year. If you want to go abroad, you can make it happen!

The longer you are in another country, the more you will get to know the people, culture, language and yourself. Students who go away for a semester often tell us that they wish they had chosen to go for a year as they are just getting settled and making friends when it's time to leave.

You may also choose to participate in more than one study abroad program.

How expensive is study abroad?

There is a wide range of programs costs. Depending on the program you choose, studying abroad can easily fit into your student budget. In many cases, the cost of study abroad is comparable to studying at UVM. If you choose to go abroad on a UVM exchange program, you pay the exchange tuition rate: in-state students pay UVM in-state tuition, and out-of-state students as of Spring 2012 pay 150% of in-state tuition. For more detailed information about financial aid and scholarships, refer to the financial planning section.

Will all my courses transfer?

Part of the UVM study abroad approval process includes researching courses that you would like to take abroad and discussing them with your academic advisor and Transfer Affairs. To enhance the probability that your courses will transfer, you should provide detailed information about course content so that your advisor can evaluate them against comparable UVM courses. Providing a complete course syllabus is very helpful in this process. Your course selection must be approved by both your academic advisor and Transfer Affairs prior to your departure.

In order to get credit for a course, you must achieve a grade of C or better. Your grade will not transfer but your credit will. You will not receive credit for comparable courses already taken at UVM. This applies particularly to language majors who may be subject to placement tests abroad and can be placed in lower level courses that are comparable to those already completed at UVM. Learn more in our section on receiving credit.

Will my grades from abroad affect my UVM GPA?

Study abroad students participating in the Buckham, Belize, Oaxaca and faculty-led programs earn UVM credits and course grades will factor into your UVM GPA. Courses taken while on other study abroad programs are considered transfer credits and the letter grades earned do not appear on the UVM transcript. Grades will appear on the transcript of the host institution abroad.

How do I find the right program for me?

What countries or cultures excite you? Make a list and don't hesitate to think outside the box. Consider studying Spanish in Latin America, French in Africa, Political Science in Poland, or Business in Japan. Think about your academic needs, course of study and personal interests as you narrow your search. Research your options online and in the OIE Resource Room to get your ideas flowing. Learn more in the advising section.

How do I know which courses I should or can take?

Your academic advisor will work with you in fitting a study abroad experience into your overall academic plan. They will help you plan for the best time to go abroad as well as advise you on which major, minor, or distribution requirements, and electives you can take abroad.

Do you need to be fluent in a foreign language to study abroad?

Not necessarily. You may be surprised to find that many universities offer English-language programs as well as foreign language classes for beginners. However, don't be afraid to tackle a new language or a culture that differs significantly from your own. It can be the most rewarding experience of your life.

What housing options do programs offer?

There are usually a variety of housing options available. Options range from homestays to residence halls to shared apartments with other students. Research your options carefully to make the best decision for your lifestyle.

Can you help me find someone to sublet my apartment to while I'm away?

We cannot, but the UVM Office of Student and Community Relations can!