Step 6: Choosing and applying to your program
For spring or, calendar year programs:
- UVM bilateral exchange and ISEP exchange application: August 10
- All other applications: September 15
- Complete the 4 phases of your iAbroad account: November 15
- Pre-departure orientation: mid-November
- UVM program deadlines: Oaxaca deadline
For summer, fall and academic year programs:
- UVM bilateral exchange and ISEP exchange application: January 10
- All other applications: February 15
- Complete the 4 phases of your iAbroad account: April 15
- Pre-departure orientation: mid-April
"I met a lot of people in Europe. I even encountered myself."
— James Baldwin
you get UVM's approval to study abroad, you must apply to your program
of choice. Program deadlines vary, with some quite early, even
up to one year in advance. You must apply to your program before UVM's
deadlines (see right) for having a study abroad advisor review and
sign your application.
Explore programs further
- Attend the Annual Study Abroad Fairs: OIE
hosts study abroad fairs every spring and fall. They are great
opportunities to collect information, ask questions and compare
programs. Calendar of events
- Remember, regional study abroad advisors are available to assist you.
Applying to your program
Once you have decided on a program, it is time to apply. Individual program deadlines vary: You must meet the earlier of the UVM or program application deadlines.
Follow the instructions in your iAbroad account on applying to your top program.
How to apply to an "external" study abroad program
an application and review application directions on the external
program's website or the sponsoring institution's website.
- Get study abroad advisor signature indicating your eligibility to apply.
- Request transcripts from all universities attended. Request UVM transcript.
letter(s) of recommendation directly from faculty. Plan to give your
faculty at least 30 days to complete a recommendation.
- Fill out student section of the language proficiency report (when required) and request faculty to complete the form.
- Include the application fee or deposit.
Note: Programs generally respond 2-6 weeks after they receive all required application materials.
- Follow all instructions in your UVM iAbroad account.
How to apply to a UVM bilateral exchange program
- Read specific fact sheets for program eligibility requirements, fees and academics.
- Review exchange host institution website for specific academic and other details.
- Meet with your regional study abroad advisor.
- Complete the internal application process: This is now an online process incorporated into the "apply" phase in your iAbroad account. It is important to research your options before applying and list more than one exchange program in your application. Plan to give your
faculty at least 30 days to complete a reference.
- Within one month of
filing your application, you will be notified if UVM is nominating you to participate on the exchange program (each program has limited spaces available).
- If you are nominated and want to accept the nomination, follow all instructions in your UVM iAbroad account.
- Complete the exchange host institution's application or registration process.
How to apply to an International Student Exchange Program (ISEP)
- Read ISEP fact sheet for program details, eligibility requirements, fees and academics.
- Review ISEP website for specific academic and other details on all host institutions you are interested in.
- Meet with your study abroad advisor.
- Complete all required ISEP application
materials, including the application checklist with fee payment
instructions, academic references, language proficiency report (when
required), host site request list and course request lists for each
host institution. See additional information about the ISEP placement process.
within 6-8 weeks, you will be notified by the Office of International
Education of your tentative placement at an exchange host institution.
- If you want to accept your placement, follow all instructions in your UVM iAbroad account.
- Once your placement has been confirmed, complete the exchange host institution's application and/or registration process, as requested by ISEP.
How to apply to a UVM semester program
- Apply to Oaxaca
- For Buckham Overseas Study Program: Students must first apply to the Buckham Overseas Study Program (by contacting Professor Helen Scott in the English Department. Applicants will work with the Buckham program director to proceed.
Next step: Obtain approval for study abroad
There are several steps that must be completed to obtain permission to study abroad from UVM. Once you've applied to your program, move on to Step 7: Obtain approval for study abroad.