General Processing Timelines
1 month prior to expected start date
Costs to UVM
None to minimal.
Who can be a TN status holder?
Citizens of either Canada or Mexico working in a profession on
the NAFTA Professional Job Series list for which the employee has the
qualifications of the profession. Employment must be with a U.S.
Procedure for requesting TN
Submit the following documents electronically to Rajan.Eapen@uvm.edu:
- Employee name
- Departmental job offer letter (including specific start
- Position description (including requirements for the
- Salary information, if not included in the offer letter
UVM Human Resources process
- Employees new to UVM
- Getting approval: Upon creating the TN
request letter, OIE
will send it by UPS Express to the employee who can anticipate
receiving it within 3-5 business days. Electronic copies are not
advisable. Canadian citizens need to take the letter and other
materials outlined on OIE‚€™s website to the
border to request admission in TN status; Mexican
citizens require additional steps.
- Returning to UVM -
Updating I-9: Employees who recently were working at UVM
in TN status, and are returning to UVM
to work another semester/academic year, simply need to make an
appointment with OIE to update or complete a
All TN status holders must formally
check in with the Office of International Education on or before the first day of work.
To schedule an appointment: Call
656-4296: please indicate the name and visa category of the new arrival
What happens at check-in?
- Complete and authorize I-9
- Complete the International Information Form (IIF) for the
University Controller‚€™s Office; this form ensures that the foreign
national is taxed properly among other things.
- Refer to the Social Security Administration when relevant
- General orientation and answers about getting settled in