On-Campus Employment

F-1 and J-1 students enrolled in a full course of study at the University of Vermont are eligible to work for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. Students may work full-time during vacation periods as long as he or she will continue studies in the following academic term.

Related links

What Kinds of Jobs Can I take?

How to Find an On-Campus Job

International students work in many different places on campus. Some common locations for undergraduate students include the Learning Co-Op, Residential Life (as Resident Advisors), in the UVM Davis Center, library support, the UVM gym, and in other campus offices. Graduate students commonly work as teaching or research assistants. The OIE sends weekly newsletters which include on-campus job opportunities. However, these are some other ideas to find an on-campus job:

Limits to Employment

International students must not exceed the 20 hour-per-week limit for on-campus work when classes are in session. This is the total for all jobs. This is a federal policy and there are no exception to this rule. Exceeding this limit is a serious violation of your student status and could result in the termination of your SEVIS record.

Employment Eligibility Verification and Social Security Numbers

Once you are hired, you will complete paperwork documenting your employment eligibility. All J-1 students must obtain written authorization from their J-1 sponsor before completing this paperwork. Consult an OIE advisor for more information. You will also need to obtain a US Social Security Number if you do not already have one. You can read more about this on this page under "Obtaining A Social Securing Number".