General Process for Bringing Foreign Nationals to the University of Vermont

F-1 students sometimes need to extend their academic programs beyond their initial program end date. As an academic adviser of an international student, you may be asked to provide a letter in suport of a student's program extension request. For information on the criteria & form of this letter, please learn more about optional practical training (OPT).

Bringing an international student to your department to pursue a degree

The Office of International Education needs to receive:

Once the OIE receives this information, we are able to create the Form I-20. With Form I-20 an international student is able to apply at a U.S.. Consulate or Embassy abroad for their F-1 student visa.