Bringing a (J-1) visiting researcher, scholar or student to UVM

Non-degree or visiting students

When planning to bring a non-degree student to the University, you should take into account the following:

In order to process appropriate paperwork, the Office of International Education must receive the following documentation from the State Department.

Once the above information is received, a Form DS-2019 will be created for the prospective student and sent to them. The student, upon receipt of the Form DS-2019 and Form DS-7002 needs to make and appointment at the nearest U.S.. Consulate or Embassy to apply for the J-1 Exchange Visitor's Visa.

All other J-1 categories (including research scholars, visiting professors & Post-Docs etc.)

The OIE must receive:

Once the OIE receives this information a Form DS-2019 will be created and sent to the prospective Exchange Visitor. Upon receipt of the Form DS-2019, the prospective Exchange Visitor needs to make an appointment at the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy to apply for their J-1 Exchange Visitor’s Visa.