Note Taking Program
When individuals with disabilities are eligible for, and request note taking as an accommodation in the academic environment, eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis by the ACCESS office.
The ACCESS office will issue an accommodation lettter (to the student who must thenbring it to you) which is an informational sheet for faculty regarding the individual with a disability's specific verified accommodations. The ACCESS student is encouraged to discuss their accommodation with you when they give you the letter.
At the University of Vermont, it is the faculty's role to help secure a peer note taker to fulfill an ACCESS Note Taking Accommodation. Faculty can do this by:
- Making a verbal request in class.
- Emailing the class roster.
- Posting an announcement on Blackboard or course website.
- Asking a familiar student who you know takes good notes.
The following is an example of an announcement used by faculty to find a peer note taker:
"ACCESS, Disability Services is seeking the assistance of a student to serve as a peer note taker for the semester. If you are a good note taker, have good handwriting or type your notes and are interested in helping other students, don't miss out on this opportunity! Serving as a volunteer requires very minimal extra work or time. ACCESS will reward peer note takers with a $25 gift card to the UVM Bookstore at the end of the semester. In addition, each time you submit notes you will recieve a $2 CyberCash card to the cafe in the Bailey-Howe Library."
PLEASE NOTE: You do NOT need to find a peer note taker if:
- You provide your notes to the class.
- You provide your notes to the ACCESS student requiring a note taking accommodation.
- You have a TA provide notes to the class or student (Please REGISTER them via the Online Form)
- The ACCESS student drops the course.
- The student tells you notes are not needed.
If you have not found a volunteer within 2 weeks of receiving the Accommodation letter, please EMAIL US so we can assist you.
Last modified May 23 2012 11:41 AM