Nutrition and Food Sciences Minor
So many careers and lifestyles pair well with the Nutrition and Food Sciences Minor. Whether you want to launch your own food business or diversified farm, become a cheesemonger, make your mark as a science or food journalisit, put your activism to work for a non-profit or many more livlihoods an NFS Minor will serve you well and give you credit for courses you naturally gravitate toward. Work closely with your advisor to make best use of your courseload.
Minor in Nutrition and Food Sciences Requirements:
- A total of fifteen credit hours in Nutrition and Food Sciences: 9 credit hours consisting of NFS 043, NFS 053, NFS 143, plus six credits of NFS courses numbered at or above the 100 level. Independent study, field experience and undergraduate research cannot be counted in this total.
- Additonal information about the NFS Minor Requirements (pdf)
How to Declare a Minor in Nutrition and Food Sciences:
Student interested in enrolling in this minor should fill out the Declaration of Minor Form (pdf) and bring it to Ann Martin in the department office, 256 MLS Carrigan Wing, for NFS Departmental signature and approval. You will then need to bring the signed form to the Dean's Office of your major for processing.
Questions and advising assistance regarding a Minor in Nutrition and Food Sciences should be directed to Dr. Farryl Bertmann, the faculty advisor for a Minor in NFS.
The NFS courses that are offered to UVM students for the minor include:
- NFS 043: Fundamentals of Nutrition
- NFS 053: Basic Concepts of Food
- NFS 143: Nutrition in the Life Cycle
- NFS 153: Principles of Food Technology
- NFS 163: Sports Nutrition
- NFS 185: Food and Culture
- NFS 205: Functional Foods:Principles and Technology
- NFS 223: Nutrition Education and Counseling
- NFS 244: Nutrition in Health and Disease Prevention
- NFS 250: Foodservice Systems Management
- NFS 253: Food Safety and Regulation
- NFS 260: Diet and Disease
- NFS 262: Community Nutrition
- NFS 263: Nutritional Biochemistry
- NFS 295: Food Micro for Non-NFS/DNFS Majors
- NFS 295: Food Safety and Public Policy
- NFS 295: Sustainable Food Purchasing: What is the Future for Food Service?
- NFS 295: Nutrition and Aging
- NFS 295: Mediterranean Food and Culture: Italy
- NFS 295: Oaxaca Semester Abroad