Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences
Faculty - Mingruo Guo
Mingruo Guo, PhD, Professor
- PhD, Food Chemistry, National University of Ireland at Cork, Ireland 1990
- MS, Dairy Technology, Northeast Agricultural University (NEAU), Harbin, China, 1985
- BS, Animal Science, Northeast Agricultural University (NEAU), Harbin, China, 1982
- Dr. Guo's C.V.
- Institute of Food Technologists
- American Dairy Science Association
- American Chemical Society
- American Society for Nutritional Sciences
Area of expertise
Developing soy, oats and milk-based "functional foods" and creating environmentally safe profucts from cheese whey. In addition he uses whey protein as a major ingredient to develop micro-encapsulation for probiotics and other functional components.
Office Location: 351 MLS Carrigan Wing
Office Hours: by appointment
Website: Dr. Guo's Website
IntroductionMingruo Guo, a food chemist and inventor, specializes in the areas of functional foods, whey based environmentally safe products, prebiotics and probiotics, infant formula, herbs and nutriional food development. Jis ongoing research projects include whey--protein-based, environmentally safe adhesive and glue products; milk, soy and oat-based symbiotic foods; soy-based coffee creamer; application of limited proteolysis of milk proteins in infant formula; and functional goat-milk yogurt kefir. He is author of the textbook "Functional Foods- Principles and Technology", published in 2007. He serves as a consultant to both trouble shoot and help food manufacturers develop new products. He has a patent on spray drying technology and two others pending on functional foods and whey protein based wood finishes. The environmentally safe wood finish was awarded as one of the top 10 Green Products in the US.
Professional interests:Mingruo Guo's scholarly interests include creating environmentally safe products from whey; component interactions in infant formula and nutritional products; the chemistry and technology of fermented dairy products; ultrasound treatment of milk and apple cider; pre- and probiotics; functional properties of milk proteins; goat's milk chemistry and processing technology; egg chemistry and processing; buffalo milk chemistry and processing.
- NFS 205 Functional Foods: Principles and Technology
- NFS 295 Functional Foods: Principles and Technology Labs
- Wang, W., Z. Zhao, Z. Gao, and M. R. Guo. 2012. Water-resistant whey protein based wood Adhesive modified by post-treated phenol-formaldehyde oilgomers (PFO). Bioresources, 7(2):1972-1983.
Zhang, T. H., Zhang, Z.D., H.Y., Yan, D. Li, Z.N. Yang and M.R. Guo. 2012. Effects of stabilizers and exopolysaccharides on physiochemical properties of fermented skim milk by Streptococcus thermophilus ST1. African Journal of Biotechnology, 11(12):6123-6130.
- Wang, W, Y. Bao, G. Hendricks, M. Guo. 2011. Improving functionality of probiotic goat’s milk yogurt using polymerized whey Protein as a co-thickening agent. Intern. Dairy J. 24:113-119.
- Zhao, Z. Gao, Z., W. Wang and M. Guo. 2011. Formulation and characterization of whey protein based aqueous polymer–isocyanate (API) adhesives for structural woods I. Formulation and processing technology. Pigments & Resin Technology. 40(6):410-417.
- Wenbo Wang, Zongyan Zhao, Zhenhua Gao, and Mingruo Guo. 2011. Whey protein-based water resistant and environmentally safe adhesives for plywood. BioResources. 6(3):3339-3351
- Gao, Z. Yu, G., Bao, Y. and Guo, M.R. 2011. Whey protein based environmentally friendly wood adhesives. Pigment and Resin Technology, 40(1):42-48.
- Guo, M.R. 2011; "Functional Food Technology" China Light Industry Publishing House; Beijing, China
- Gao, Z., Wang, W., Z. Zhao, and M. Guo, 2010. Novel whey-protein based Aqueous Polymer–Isocyanate (API) adhesive for Glulam. Journal of Applied Polymer Science.120:220-225
- Wang, W., Z. Zhao, Z. Gao, M. R. Guo. 2010. Environmentally safe aqueous adhesive prepared using whey proteins for water-resistant plywood. China Adhesion 31(9):50-54
- Guo, M.R. 2009. "Functional Foods: Principles and Technology" Woodhead Publishing Ltd, London.
- Jean Harvey-Berino, Chair
- Lyndon Carew
- Catherine Donnelly
- Mingruo Guo
- Rachel K. Johnson
- Paul S. Kindstedt
- Stephen S. Pintauro
- Jane K. Ross
- Amy Trubek
- Robert S. Tyzbir