Faculty - Jean Harvey, Chair
Jean Harvey, PhD, RD, Chair, Professor
- PhD, Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh, 1991
- MS, Nutrition, Pennsylvania State University, 1984
- BS, Nutrition, Pennsylvania State University, 1981
- Dr. Harvey's C.V.
- Board of Advisors, Well Balance Weight Management Program
- Board of Advisors, Survivorship NOW
- The Obesity Society
- American Heart Association
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Area of expertise
Behavioral weight control and lifestyle modification
Office Location: 250 MLS Carrigan Wing
Office Hours: by appointment
IntroductionJean Harvey teaches people how to change their lifestyles in ways that help them to eat less and move more, which ultimately leads to weight loss of a lasting kind. For her personally, "moving" involves running, biking, swimming and skiing.
She is not only the department chair, her appointment is in both the Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences and UVM Medical College. She was awarded a prestigious Fulbright Scholarship to Australia in August 2012.
She is well known as the founder of the famed VTrim online weight-liss program. Her book, the "Eating Well Diet", co-authored with the editors of "Eating Well" magazine, won the James Beard Foundation book award in the Healthy Focus category in 2008.
Professional Interests:Jean Harvey is a renowned expert on behavioral weight management programs, particularly Internet-based interventions for weight loss and weight maintenance. She also researches the prevention and treatment of childhood obesity, weight loss interventions for coronary patients and breast cancer survivors. Professor Harvey`s Internet-based weight-loss research program gained international media attention when it showed that it helped Vermont participants to lose an average of 21 pounds in 6 months. Now, on a $3.5 million grant from the National Institutes of Health, Harvey is collaborating with colleagues at the University of Arkansas to investigate the efficacy of her online behavior weight loss on a larger, more diverse sample.
- NFS 063: Obesity, Weight Control & Fitness
- NFS 295: Food Culture and Health: The Case of Oaxaca
- Harvey J, Ogden D. Obesity Treatment in Disadvantaged Population Groups: Where Do We Stand and What Can We Do? Prev Med. 2014 May 27. (14)00181-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2014.05.015
- Pope, L., Harvey, J. The efficacy of incentives to motivate continued fitness-center attendance in college first-year students: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of American College Health (2014) 62(2):81-90.
- Rollo, M., Burrows, T., Hutchesson, M., Hoggle, L., Krukowski, R., Harvey, J., Collins, C. Video consultations and virtual nutrition care for weight management. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. In Press, 2015.
- Hutchesson, MJ., Rollo, ME., Krukowski, R., Ells, L., Harvey, J., Morgan, PJ., Callister, R., Plotnikoff, R., Collins, CE. eHealth interventions for the prevention and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Obes Rev. 2015 Mar 5. doi: 10.1111/obr.12268. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ades, PA., Savage, PD., Marney, AM., Harvey, J., Evans, K. Remission of Recently Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus with Weight Loss and Exercise. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev. 2015 Jan 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pope, L., Harvey, J. The Impact of Incentives on Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motives for Fitness-Center Attendance in College First-Year Students. Am J Health Promot. 2015 Jan-Feb;29(3):192-9. doi: 10.4278/ajhp.140408-QUAN-135. PMID: 25559252
- Dunn-Carver M., Pope E., Dorwaldt A., Flynn B., Dana G., Harvey-Berino J. Maples: An Evaluation of a Preschool Physical Activity Curriculum. Open Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2013. DOI: 10.4236/ojpm.2013.31018, Feb 27, 2013, pp 141-147.
- Pope E., Gold EC, Leonard H., Belliveau C., Harvey-Berino J. Undergrad and Overweight: Online Behavioral Weight Management for College Students. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior,(2012) 44(6):604-8.
- Jean R. Harvey, Chair
- Catherine W. Donnelly
- Mingruo Guo
- Rachel K. Johnson
- Paul S. Kindstedt
- Meredith T. Niles
- Stephen J. Pintauro
- Lizzy F. Pope
- Amy B. Trubek