Rutland--For 4-H'ers from seven clubs in Bennington and Rutland Counties April 14 was an action-packed night.
Southwest Regional 4-H Night, held at Rutland High School, provided an opportunity for them to demonstrate what they have learned in University of Vermont (UVM) Extension 4-H projects and club activities. At stake was the chance to continue onto statewide competition at 4-H State Day, May 13, at the Barre Civic Center in Barre.
The 4-H'ers, ages 5 to 18, competed individually and in groups in various categories ranging from stage presentations and team demonstrations to fashion revue and technology. Many of the youths also entered tabletop exhibits, educational posters, crafts and photos.
Individuals and 4-H clubs selected to represent the southwestern Vermont region at 4-H State Day were:
- FASHION REVUE: Laura Rosenthal, East Arlington (double-layered skirt)
- PHOTO-BASED DESIGN: Laura Rosenthal, East Arlington (Teeter Turtle)
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Laura Rosenthal, East Arlington (The Cormorant)
- POSTER: Laura Rosenthal, East Arlington (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle)
- TABLETOP EXHIBITS: Ann Fiegel, Arlington (Propagating Jade); Peter Fiegel, Arlington (Camping Essentials)
- TECHNOLOGY (Maker-Tinker): Mara Rosenthal, East Arlington (DogBot)
- TECHNOLOGY (Video): Ann Fiegel, Arlington (Propagation: How To); Piper Guy-Crosslin, Arlington (A Day in the Life of My Guinea Pig)
- FASHION REVUE: Raven Collett, Fair Haven (jacket)
- NON-CLOTHING: Amelia Barber, Clemons, New York (horse cooler); Isabella Barber, Clemons, New York (horse cooler); Breanna Munger, Benson (pillow)
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Kelsey Adams, Pittsford (Watching Airplanes); Raven Collett, Fair Haven (Immature Yellow-bellied Sapsucker)
- STAGE PRESENTATION: Reilly Battease, Clarendon (violin); Raven Collett, Fair Haven (song medley); Kerry Crossman, Castleton (flute); Katrina Mayer-Geear, Hampton, New York (karate kata); Samantha Senns, Benson (tap dancing); Tamara Tyminski, Wallingford (singing)
- TABLETOP EXHIBITS: Amelia Barber, Clemons, New York (Orangutans); Isabella Barber, Clemons, New York (Hot, Warm Cold-Blooded Horses); Crafty Critters 4-H Club, West Rutland (Dishing it Up; participating members: Kelsey Adams, Pittsford; Aubrey Pitts, Shrewsbury; Nika Thornton, Middletown Springs); Ava Potter, Rutland (Eastern Coyote)
- TEAM DEMONSTRATION: Lilly Seward, East Wallingford, and Tamara Tyminski, Wallingford (History of 4-H); Evelyn and Lorryn Trujillo, North Clarendon (Tropical Slime)
Assisting with the event were 4-H teens Kerry Crossman, Castleton; Alexia Diaz, Emme Fairbanks and Elivia Lapre, all from Rutland; Olivia Peer, West Rutland; Evelyn and Lorryn Trujillo, North Clarendon; and Tamara Tyminski, Wallingford.
To learn more about the 4-H program in Bennington and Rutland Counties, contact UVM Extension 4-H educator Kimberly Griffin at (802) 773-3349, ext. 276, or (800) 281-6977 (toll-free in Vermont) or by e-mail at email@example.com.