Department of Music and Dance
Discover Music at UVM
What Makes UVM Music Unique?
First and foremost, it's our faculty that makes the department of music great:
- Study with a Fulbright scholar.
- Learn from faculty members who have won UVM's top prize for teaching (Kroepsch/Maurice award).
- Work with a composer who has won a silver medal from London's Royal Academy of Arts.
- Play in an ensemble with a grammy winner.
- Study with someone who has recorded wtih Trey Anastasio.
Music student Xiudan Lin has mastered the masters on her piano: Beethoven, Ginastera, Ravel, and others. Hear Xiudan play.
What are music students like? Our students display a level of involvement that continually impresses faculty and staff. Whether playing in departmental ensembles, taking lessons on multiple instruments, writing original compositions in our state-of-the-art music technology lab, preparing lesson plans for a music education class, or performing on- or off-campus with their own groups, UVM music students are involved in their musical education.
What if music will not be your career? For many students, music will not be their career, but continues to be their passion. These people make up our strong contingent of music minors who continue to play and study their instrument or voice while pursuing a major in the College of Arts and Sciences or as a cross-college minor in one of the other colleges.
Major, minor or just take a class: We welcome students from all majors within the College of Arts and Sciences, as well as all colleges within the university. These students play in ensembles, study privately, and take courses in music theory or history.
Burlington's thriving music scene offers an exciting environment for making music. Read why world-famous jazz artist Ray Vega chose to bring his talent to Vermont.
Be in touch
If exploring our website does not answer all of your questions, please contact me directly. I'll answer your question or put you in touch with someone who can.
— D. Thomas Toner, Professor and Department Chair, e-mail: D.Toner@uvm.edu
Outstanding affiliate artist faculty teach private lessons. A sampling of our affiliate artists:
- grammy award nominee
- members of the Vermont Symphony Orchestra
- founder of the Vermont Contemporary Music Ensemble
- performer in the new music ensemble Clogs
- teacher and performer of the National Orchestra of Panama
- featured soloist with the Vermont Mozart Festival
- jazz artists who have played with the likes of Bo Diddley, the Mike Gordon Ban, Joe Lovano and Arturo Sandoval
Last modified August 25 2015 11:54 AM