University of Vermont

Department of Music and Dance


All UVM students, regardless of major, are eligible to take private lessons; however, priority for lesson space in private studios goes to music majors and music minors.

The amount of space available for non-music majors in a private studio varies from teacher to teacher; students are encouraged to contact their prospective teachers and sign up for lessons as early as possible.

The Music Department has established policies and procedures for all applied lessons - see syllabus for details. In some cases, individual instructors will provide additional information.

Do I have to audition for private lessons?

Requirements vary from teacher to teacher. Some teachers will accept students with zero prior experience, while others will expect a Level I (placement) audition to hear 1-2 contrasting pieces which show your playing ability.

Music majors are required to pass a Music Major Audition (Level II) before they are accepted for study in MUL 134, and an Intermediate Level Examination (Level III) before acceptance for study in MUL 234.

How do I enroll in private lessons?

  • Register for lessons online before or during the first week of classes.
  • Contact the teacher(s) for information about the Level I audition.
  • Set up a lesson schedule with your teacher.
  • Fill out the applied lesson contract (PDF) and submit to the Music Department Office by add/drop deadline.

Which section do I enroll in?

  • MUL 033 - Lessons for NON-MAJORS / NON-MINORS
  • MUL 034 - REQUIRED secondary lessons for music MAJORS
  • MUL 044 - NON-REQUIRED secondary lessons for music MAJORS
  • MUL 074 - Lessons for Music Tech/Business majors who have not yet passed the Level II
  • MUL 133 - Lessons for music MINORS
  • MUL 134 - Lessons for music MAJORS (after Level II jury)
  • MUL 234 - Lessons for music MAJORS (after Level III jury)

For example: a non-major/non-minor interested in flute lessons should enroll in MUL 033 E. A music minor violinist should enroll in MUL 133 X. A music major vocalist who has passed their Level III should enroll in MUL 234 Y. A student who took piano lessons as a child but hasn't played in several years should sign up for MUL 022 R.

Piano students, please see below.

What type of credit do I receive for taking lessons?

Applied lessons are available for one or two credits. Each student receives one private lesson per week for 14 weeks. Private lessons are available for variable credit as follows:

  • 1 credit = One half-hour lesson per week (14 lessons)
  • 2 credits = One full-hour lesson per week (14 lessons)

Music majors generally take lessons for two credits. Music minors and non-majors may take lessons for one or two credits based on the student's level and teacher's availability. Please contact your teacher to determine whether you should register for one or two credits. Unfortunately, there is no way to audit lessons for 0 credits.

What if I'm already at the 18-credit limit?

You may request permission from your college to take additional credits. There is no additional fee to take lessons as your 19th/20th credit, but you must still pay the lab fee for private lessons (see the box in the top right of this page). Once your college has granted you permission to take more than 18 credits, you will be able to enroll in lessons.

How often will I have to practice?

Expectations will vary from teacher to teacher, but students should expect to practice a minimum of three hours per week. Students should consult their teachers for details.

Lesson attendance

Attendance at all lessons is a course requirement. If a faculty member must cancel a lesson, they will inform the student by e-mail or by a sign posted on the lesson studio door. Students should then contact the faculty member to schedule a make-up lesson.

If a student must cancel a lesson, they must inform the faculty member by e-mail or voice mail prior to the lesson time. When possible, faculty will make up a lesson canceled prior to the lesson time. No make-up lesson will be scheduled when the student does not contact the faculty member prior to the lesson time. Furthermore, faculty will not be expected to make up more than two lessons canceled by the student.

Lesson registers and grading

Students must fill out a lesson register form (PDF) listing repertoire studied during the semester and give the form to his/her teacher not later than the last lesson of the semester. The instructor will then fill out the final portion of the form and return the form to the Department Office (music majors) or keep it for their own records (non-majors). No grade will be given until the applied lesson register has been completed.


End-of-semester Area Juries are generally required of music majors and may be required of non-majors. All music majors are required to pass an Intermediate Level Jury (Level III). This is usually done at the end of the sophomore years, and allows the student to register for lesson in MUL 234.

Student Performance Recitals

A music major enrolled in applied lessons in his/her principal instrument must perform on at least two Student Performance Recitals prior to being eligible for an Intermediate Level Jury (Level III), and another two recitals prior to being eligible for a Solo Recital Examination (Level IV). Please contact the department office if you have questions about this requirement.

Solo Recitals

Music majors in the BA program with a concentration in performance or jazz studies, as well as BS Music Education students are required to perform a Senior Recital in their last year of study. Bachelor of Music students are required to perform Sophomore, Junior, and Senior Recitals. Students must pass a Solo Recital Jury (Level IV) four to six weeks before any required recital. Level IV and Solo Recital Policies.

Lesson FAQs

What piano class should I enroll in?

MU 021 - Group Piano Lessons
For students with no previous piano experience.

MUL 022 - Basic Private Lessons: Piano
For students with some prior piano experience - for example, you took lessons as a child but have not played in several years, or play by ear but don't read music, or took MU 021 group piano and want to continue.

MUL 033 - Private Lessons: Piano (non-majors/non-minors) &
MUL 133 - Private Lessons: Piano for Music Minors
Students must pass a Level I audition to enroll in MUL 033 or 133. We request to hear two contrasting pieces you've already learned (from score, not by ear) and also some sightreading. Examples of audition pieces could include sonatinas, sonatas, minuets, nocturnes, inventions, and more. This need not be a polished performance but should give us an idea of your playing level and background. Students auditioning successfully have typically studied piano several years. If you are a beginner, you might consider MU 021 or MUL 022.

Last modified April 14 2017 12:16 PM