University Concert Band
The UVM Concert Band is open to all UVM students regardless of major, minor, or college. In fact, in a typical semester, many or all of the seven undergraduate colleges are represented in Band!
The band performs several on-campus concerts each year and has also performed throughout Vermont and the northeast. We have also given international concerts in Austria, Germany, Italy, and Slovakia. Repertoire is chosen from band "classics" like the Holst suites, John Barnes Chance's Incantation and Dance and Variations on a Korean Folk Song, and newer pieces, including first performances and American premieres.
Many Concert Band members also participate in the pep band, which performs at UVM hockey and basketball games.
Read the FAQs about the Concert Band rehearsals, performances, auditions, and more.
Each student must take a yearly placement audition for seating. Since these are simply placement auditions, students should register for Band (MU 121) before the audition. View Concert Band audition info.
2016-17 Concert Schedule
Friday, September 23, 2016, 7:30 p.m. in the Music Building Recital Hall
The Concert Band will perform on the department's traditional Homecoming Concert in the Recital Hall along with the UVM Orchestra and Choirs:
Battle Pavane - Susato/Margolis
Variations on an African Hymnsong - Hilliard
Lord of the Rings - de Meij/Lavender
Fall Concert: Friday, November 11, 2016, 7:30 p.m. in the Music Building Recital Hall
- Havendance - Holsinger
- With Silent Eyes, They Look to the Sea- Myers
- Snowflakes Dancing - Boysen
- Carmina Burana Suite - Orff/Krance
Spring Concert: Friday, April 7, 2017, 7:30 p.m. in the Music Building Recital Hall
- Flashover - Main
- The Witch and the Saint - Reineke 3-1-17 rehearsal
- Shirim - Swerts 2-27-17 rehearsal
- Hymn to the Infinite Sky - Yagisawa
- Skyscapes - Moore 3-6-17 rehearsal
- El Camino Real - Reed 3-8-17 rehearsal
Fingering Charts (downloadable PDF files)
There are, of course, LOTS of metronome and tuner apps; the following are just examples.
- View the list of past performances
- Tentative Future Trip Itinerary
- Itinerary from the 2009 trip to Italy
- Movie from the 2007 trip to Germany, Austria, and Slokavia
Last modified March 08 2017 05:07 PM