University of Vermont

Department of Music and Dance

Bachelor of Arts in Music (B.A.)

A broad musical experience coupled with a concentration of choice...

The Department of Music & Dance's B.A. program offers students the opportunity to indulge extensively in their music work while devoting time to studies outside of music.

B.A. music majors choose from five concentrations:

What can I do with a B.A. degree?

Students can find jobs in a number of fields within music or they may pursue graduate work. Graduates have gone on to become private teachers, arts administrators, church musicians, and performers in groups such as Rubblebucket, Songevity, Great Good Fine Ok, Portland Symphony, Vermont Symphony, and Voces Novae. UVM music majors have gone on to graduate study at some of the most prestigious universities and schools of music in the country, including Indiana University, Columbia College Chicago, University of Colorado Boulder, William Patterson University, and the Aaron Copland School of Music at Queens College. Other graduates pursue their music careers while also working in another field they had the time to explore as a B.A. student. Learn about careers in music.

What is the difference between a B.A. degree in music and a B.Mus. degree?

A Bachelor of Arts is a liberal arts degree in which students pick a major (music) and a minor (biology, math, business, English, etc.), allowing them to explore a variety of academic interests. Many of our students choose to double major in music and another subject, in which case a minor is not needed.

A Bachelor of Music is a professional, not liberal arts, degree that requires more credit hours in music. B.Mus. students do not have a minor, but complete the same general distribution university requirements of the B.A.


Most students interested in majoring in music must first pass an entrance audition on an instrument or voice. (Students pursuing the B.A. in Music Technology and Business may choose to postpone the audition.)

In order to complete the major, all students must attain intermediate level on a single instrument or voice; must have or acquire piano skills sufficient to pass the piano proficiency examination; and must pass a junior standing examination, usually at the end of the sophomore year.

Last modified November 11 2016 10:07 AM