University of Vermont

Department of Music and Dance


All music majors are assigned a full-time music faculty member as an academic advisor. The advisor is someone with expertise in the student's area of study (see who your advisor is on the right).

Frequency of advisor meetings

Students should plan to have a meeting with their advisor at least once a semester to discuss their schedule for the following semester and review their progress within their course of study as well as the college distribution requirements.

Declaring a major

Your advisor can best guide you after you have officially declared a concentration. Declaration form on the Registrar's website.

Help with the planning process

By the beginning of the third year, students should perform a CATS (Curriculum Audit Tracking System) Report on the Registrar's website. This report will aid the planning process for the student's final semesters and can help prevent schedule complications.

Advisement with a music minor

Bachelor of Arts students should seek advising for their minor from the department of the minor or from an advisor in the dean's office. Music minors should periodically contact the department chair to review their progress in the minor curriculum.


Course substitution, transfer credits, and credit for high school AP courses should be discussed with the department chair rather than the academic advisor.

Extended absences, leaves of absence, study abroad, and similar large-scope issues should be discussed with an advisor in the dean's office.

Last modified October 21 2015 02:25 PM