Vermont Medicine Magazine
Third Session in Global Health Series Takes Place Jan. 24
- By Erin E Post
Students, residents and faculty learned more about a host of global health topics - including new opportunities to study medicine in Russia and Vietnam - at the third session of the Global Health Series presented by the UVM College of Medicine and teaching affiliate Danbury Hospital. The session was held on January 24, 2013, from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Sullivan Classroom (Medical Education Center 200). Hosted by Majid Sadigh, M.D., infectious disease specialist and Director of Global Health at Danbury Hospital/Western Connecticut Health Network, the evening included the following five presentations:
- Stephen J. Scholand, M.D., founder of Rabies-Free World, presents “Influences, Opportunities, and Passion: Making Your Career the Most Interesting and Meaningful Work of your Life”
- Lan Phan, M.D., site director of the global health office of ChoRay Hospital in Vietnam, presents a description of this new site for the global health elective
- Bulat Zignshin, M.D., Ph.D., senior officer of the global health office of Kazan State Medical University (KSMU) in Russia, presents “Opportunities for First Year Medical Students: A Global Health Project Focused Summer Elective in Kazan”
- Majid Sadigh, M.D., presents “History of Lassa Fever”
- Patricia O’Brien, M.D., UVM Assistant Professor of Medicine, and Tania Bertsch, M.D., UVM Associate Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean for Clinical Education, present a book review of The Lassa Ward: One Man’s Fight Against One of the World’s Deadliest Diseases by Ross I. Donaldson.
The first two sessions in the Global Health Series were held at UVM in October and December of 2012. Students, residents and faculty from the UVM College of Medicine, UVM College of Nursing and Health Sciences, and Fletcher Allen Health Care are invited to attend the sessions, which include refreshments.
For more information about the series, contact Audree Frey in the UVM College of Medicine Office of Medical Student Education at Audree.Frey@uvm.edu.