Public Health Projects
Public Health Issues = Community Health Needs
- Access to health care
- Transportation and health
- Health literacy
- Nutrition – hunger and preventing obesity
- Physical Activity
- Immunizations and infectious diseases
- Mental health
- Blood Donations
- Environmental health – Mercury, BPA, Lead
- Health and housing
- Health Policy and Laws
- Alcohol use
Why Public Health?
- Health issues of today connect the health of patients and populations.
- Health reform requires skills in population health.
- Physicians have a role and responsibility in improving public (population) health
- Medical students will become better doctors.
Proportional Contribution to Premature Death*
Genetics: 30%, Social: 15%, Environmental: 5%, Health Care: 10%, Behavioral: 40%
*Determinants of Health and Their Contribution to Premature Death (McGinness et al. 2002) from Schroeder S. NEJM 357(12): 1221, 2007 (PDF)
Last modified August 13 2012 03:47 PM