- The care of patients with venous thrombosis and it’s complications1992-1996 Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD - BA in Biology and French
- Evaluation of patients for inherited and acquired hyper-coagulable syndromes
- Evaluation and management of patients with premature arterial vascular disease and the role of novel risk factors
- Evaluation and management of non-malignant disorders of red cells, white cells, and platelets
1996-2000 University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA - MD
2000-2003 University of Vermont / Fletcher Allen Health Care, Burlington, VT – Internal Medicine Residency
2003-2004 University of Vermont / Fletcher Allen Health Care, Burlington, VT – Chief Medical Resident
2004-2007 Brown University, Providence, RI – Fellowship in Hematology & Oncology
2007-2009 Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA - Masters in Epidemiology - MSc
2003 Board Certified in Internal Medicine
2007 American Board of Internal Medicine Subspecialty in Medical Oncology
2007 American Board of Internal Medicine Subspecialty in Hematology
- The epidemiology and risk factors for arterial and venous thrombosis with an emphasis on the roles of novel risk factors such as inflammation and coagulation biomarkers. American Society of Hematology
- Defining clinical risk factors for and impact of venous thrombosis in hospitalized patients with an emphasis on improved risk stratification tools and delivery of appropriate anticoagulation.
- The epidemiology of the causes and consequences of anemia especially in the elderly and diverse racial groups
American Society of Clinical Oncology
American Heart Association, Council on Epidemiology and Prevention
International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Zakai NA, McClure LA. Racial differences in venous thromboembolism. Journal of thrombosis and haemostasis : JTH. 2011; 9: 1877-82.
Zakai NA, Lange L, Longstreth WT, Jr., O'Meara ES, Kelley JL, Fornage M, Nikerson D, Cushman M, Reiner AP. Association of coagulation-related and inflammation-related genes and factor VIIc levels with stroke: the Cardiovascular Health Study. Journal of thrombosis and haemostasis : JTH. 2011; 9: 267-74.Ganesh SK*, Zakai NA*, van Rooij FJ*, Soranzo N*, Smith AV*, Nalls MA*, Chen MH*, Kottgen A, Glazer NL, Dehghan A, Kuhnel B, Aspelund T, Yang Q, Tanaka T, Jaffe A, Bis JC, Verwoert GC, Teumer A, Fox CS, Guralnik JM, Ehret GB, Rice K, Felix JF, Rendon A, Eiriksdottir G, Levy D, Patel KV, Boerwinkle E, Rotter JI, Hofman A, Sambrook JG, Hernandez DG, Zheng G, Bandinelli S, Singleton AB, Coresh J, Lumley T, Uitterlinden AG, Vangils JM, Launer LJ, Cupples LA, Oostra BA, Zwaginga JJ, Ouwehand WH, Thein SL, Meisinger C, Deloukas P, Nauck M, Spector TD, Gieger C, Gudnason V, van Duijn CM, Psaty BM, Ferrucci L, Chakravarti A, Greinacher A, O'Donnell CJ, Witteman JC, Furth S, Cushman M, Harris TB, Lin JP. Multiple loci influence erythrocyte phenotypes in the CHARGE Consortium. Nat Genet. 2009; 41: 1191-8. *Co-first authors
Zakai NA, Katz R, Hirsch C, Shlipak MG, Chaves PH, Newman AB, Cushman M. A prospective study of anemia status, hemoglobin concentration, and mortality in an elderly cohort: the Cardiovascular Health Study. Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 2214-20.Zakai NA, Wright J, Cushman M. Risk factors for venous thrombosis in medical inpatients: validation of a thrombosis risk score. J Thromb Haemost. 2004; 2: 2156-61.
For a complete list of Neil Zakai's publications, please visit Google Scholar