University of Vermont

College of Medicine

Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences

wrhr

Women's Reproductive Health Research

Microscope

The goal of the Women's Reproductive Health Research (WRHR) program is to support the research career development of junior faculty (M.D. or M.D./Ph.D.), known as WRHR Scholars, who have recently completed a residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology, or subspecialty Ob/Gyn Fellowship training. This objective is accomplished by the careful pairing of Scholars with Research Mentors in combination with educational training in the scientific and ethical conduct of research.

Upon admission to the program, each Scholar will, based on their current skill level, evolve through a three-phase process during which he/she will gain diverse research experience, identify a primary mentor, and begin the transition to independence.

Phase 1: Enroll in relevant courses and participate in experiential rotations of choice.

Phase 2: Carry out a mentored research project in an area of interest.

Phase 3: With the help of the primary research mentor and research directors, further develop own research ideas, effectively prepare grant applications and apply for extramural funding.

Thus, each WRHR Scholar will actively participate in a working laboratory, develop, analyze and present their research locally and at national scientific conferences, and learn the skills required for successful competition for extramural funding.
The WRHR Program provides both salary and research support for physician-scientists for 3 to 5 years, allowing them 75% protected time to pursue their basic science, translational and/or clinical research training, with the remaining 25% spent in clinical practice.

The five thematic areas well-represented by the group of available research mentors are:

  1. Female cardiovascular disease
  2. Genital tract smooth muscle contractility
  3. Reproductive immunology and infectious disease
  4. Genetics and developmental biology
  5. Endocrine signaling related to metabolism and aging

Last modified November 26 2013 12:11 PM