This page has moved to here!
Certificate of Graduate Study in Public Health
General Requirements & How to Apply
Welcome to UVM’s Online Certificate of Graduate Study in Public Health. The Certificate of Graduate Study in Public Health is a collaborative graduate level program between the College of Medicine, Continuing Education and the Graduate College at UVM, in which students earn the entire 18 credits online and can complete the program within one year.
Public health is a dynamic and challenging, multidisciplinary field blending public policy, research, and population health sciences. The focus of public health is on promoting healthy practices and preventing disease among entire populations, rather than on treating individual illness. Graduate Students may choose to take this 18 credit online certificate as a standalone program or as part of a Master’s, MD or PhD program. The Certificate of Graduate Study in Public Health will serve as the core for the online Master’s in Public Health, currently under development at UVM.
General Requirements for the Certificate
- Complete a minimum of 18 graded graduate credits at the University of Vermont that apply to Certificate Core & Elective Requirements. This coursework may also count toward a student's concurrent graduate degree at UVM. If you are a current graduate student, please check with your program to determine the applicability of the Certificate of Graduate Study in Public Health coursework towards your masters or doctoral degree.
- Maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0.
- Apply up to three appropriate graduate credits from UVM taken prior to receiving formal acceptance into the Certificate program, toward the Certificate. A special exception will be made for Certificate of Graduate Study in Public Health students to transfer up to 12 PH credits, if enrolled in the Certificate program prior to May 1, 2013.
- Formal acceptance into the Certificate program must be granted before the first day of any class(es) you plan to apply toward the Certificate. (See exception in #3.)
- By the end of the first semester of enrollment in a Certificate of Graduate Study program, you must complete a Certificate of Graduate Study Program Plan Form (PDF).
- For a complete and most current list of requirements as outlined by the Graduate College see Policies and Operational Procedures for Certificates of Graduate Study (PDF).
How to Apply
There are three ways to apply to the Certificate of Graduate Study programs:
APPLICANTS TO CERTIFICATE OF GRADUATE STUDY PROGRAMS ONLY:
Applicants seeking to enroll only in a Certificate of Graduate Study program (and not to a graduate degree program) should follow regular on-line procedures for applying to the UVM Graduate College, described in the Graduate College Application Instructions.
DUAL GRADUATE DEGREE / CERTIFICATE PROGRAM APPLICANTS:
Applicants who are applying at the same time for both a regular graduate degree program and also for a Certificate of Graduate Study at UVM should follow regular procedures for applying to the UVM Graduate College; see the Graduate College Application Instructions.
CURRENT UVM DEGREE PROGRAM STUDENTS:
Students who are currently admitted and enrolled in Master's or doctoral degree programs at UVM who wish to apply for a Certificate of Graduate Study should complete the single-page Certificate of Graduate Study Short Form Application. In addition to the Short-Form, you must also submit a brief statement explaining why you are interested in the Certificate program(s).
Financial and Policy Issues
For information on the costs associated with earning the Certificate of Public Health go to the Student Financial Services site. Financial aid is not available for students enrolled solely in a certificate program. Please review important information about the availability of financial aid.
Last modified May 27 2016 10:18 AM