LCME Accreditation: April 21-25, 2013
The Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) will perform its next full accreditation site visit of the UVM College of Medicine April 22-25, 2013. Our last site visit was in 2005, with the College receiving a full eight-year reaccreditation that highlighted five areas of excellence in our program. We anticipate a much more challenging review this time, as the standards have significantly tightened and the outcomes of LCME reviews nationally have deteriorated.
Student Debt: Our Top Financial Priority
For Jessica Kerchner, Student Financial Services Counselor in the Office of Medical Student Education, the educational debt of graduating students is a major concern. The average debt of our graduates is expected to top $180,000 for the class of 2012.
Enhanced Student Health Insurance
Ongoing feedback is important, and input on your educational experience help us to improve our programs and policies. One area where we received valuable feedback was medical student health insurance, and now in place is a brand new program that will meet many of the needs identified. Information on the final policy will be available shortly, but highlights of the plan include:
- No charge to student for preventive care - items that fall into USPSTF A and B recommendations, including contraception, immunizations and serologies
- No cap on physical therapy and chiropractic treatment
- Students on rotation at remote sites from Burlington have access to full coverage for preventive services through in-network providers.
- Annual cap for prescription coverage increases from $2500 per policy year to $100,000 per policy year
- Annual cap for payment per condition increases from $100,000 to $250,000 per policy year. Under ACA there will be no cap by 2014
- No pre-existing condition exclusion by 2014
- Cost sharing ration remains at 80% carrier/20% patient
- Current policy year is 8/1 - 7/31.Cost for 11-12 policy year is $2178; our best preliminary estimate for 12-13 is that policy
Updated information for 2012-13 will be posted on the UVM Student Health Insurance Plan website.
New Teaching Hospital Partners Provide Expanded Clinical Rotation Opportunities
Two years following the establishment of several new clinical training sites for the University of Vermont College of Medicine, dozens of medical students are actively engaged in rotations at the three satellite locations in Danbury, Ct., Bangor, Maine, and West Palm Beach, Fla.
View the recent Photo Gallery from St. Mary’s Medical Center