Medical Student Education
Vermont Integrated Curriculum
- COMET (password req)
- Interactive Level Diagrams
- Student Handbook (pdf)
- Tenets of Professionalism
- VIC Curriculum Competencies (pdf)
- VIC Diagram (pdf)
- VIC Summary Document
- 2013 Academic Calendar (pdf)
- 2014 Academic Calendar (pdf)
- 2015 Academic Calendar (pdf)
- 2016 Academic Calendar (pdf)
- Clinical Simulation Laboratory
The Vermont Integrated Curriculum (VIC) fully integrates primary education in the basic sciences with a solid foundation in basic health science knowledge and clinical skills. Also included are programs in leadership skills, professional development, research and teaching skills.
An Integrated Approach
The exponential increase in scientific knowledge translates to increased opportunities to prevent disease and develop new therapies. It also means that medical students must build not only a solid understanding of medical knowledge as it stands today, but also a firm foundation for a lifetime of learning.
The College of Medicine requires successful completion of three levels of study before the Doctor of Medicine is awarded. The curriculum is continually updated based on innovation and evaluation by students and faculty members; however, the basic concept of developing outstanding practitioners remains constant.
Highlights of the VIC
The VIC is divided into three levels of increasing complexity and breadth of study. Instruction progresses from being teacher-directed to being student-directed, encouraging graduates to develop strong life-long learning habits.
- Integrates basic and clinical sciences
- Incorporates leadership development
- Provides opportunities to engage in public health research
- Teaches basic principles of clinical medicine, including primary and preventive care
- Offers diverse clinical settings in Burlington, Vermont; Danbury, Connecticut; Bangor, Maine; and West Palm Beach, Florida. See Clinical Affiliates for more information.
- Provides additional responsibilities for patient care through clinical electives
- Students also fulfill a requirement for scholarly work in teaching or research
Last modified March 14 2013 02:54 PM