Facilities and Equipment
The Laboratory includes approximately 4000 square feet for research divided into three areas each with space for 20+ staff and five to eight investigators, and a 180 square feet cold room, and approximately 14,000 square feet of freezer storage space for the over 120 freezers that currently house more than 1,500,000 samples from more than 70,000 individuals. Samples are inventoried for freezer location in databases. All freezers can be connected to emergency generator power backup in case of power failure. An automated telephone dialer system is in place to alert personnel of any emergencies on a 24/7 basis.
The University of Vermont, College of Medicine Information System (COMIS) supports the LCBR computer system. The COMIS system includes 30+Windows 2000 servers and affliliated desktop and laptop computers running Windows 2000 Pro. LCBR has approximately 40 of these computers. Connectivity is through the UVM GB Ethernet backbone. All available Microsoft security patches are installed on the servers and clients. Virus protection includes Network Associates and MCAfree Virus applicatiosn with DAT files updated as soon as new files are released. Full nightly backups are done to tape on a 30-day cycle. Full backups are done monthly and retained for 13 months. Available software includes the Microsoft Office package, Adobe Acrobat, SPSS, and SQL for large databases. Individual computers house other graphics and data analysis packages as needed.
Approximately 2200 square feet of office space is available. Two rooms provide space for 16 technicians and students and general-usecomputer workstations. Administration and Data Management consists of approximately 450 square feet. There is also separate office space for five investigators and up to five junior investigators, fellows and post-docs.
The LCBR employs the use of the following equipment:
- Stago Evolution Automated Coagulation analyzer for coagulation and immunoturbidmetric assays.
- Meso Scale Discovery Multi-Array System for electrochemliminescence detection of biomarkers in singleplex and multiplex formats.
- Dade Behring BNII Nephelometer
- BioTek Elx808 Ultra Microplate Reader for fluorescence and absorbance ELISA and Kinetic assays.
- Bio-Rad BioPlex Protein Array Systems for fluorescent bead-based Luminex technology to simultaneously analyze up to 100 targets in a single microplate well.
- Perkin Elmer Wizard2 gamma counter for RIA.
- Roche e411 for specialized chemistries using electrochemiluminescence tehcnology.
- Roche Cobas Integra 400 Plus for general chemistries.
- Beckman Coulter LH 500 cell counter
- Tosoh G8 hematology analyzer
- Miltenyi MACS Quant Analyzer 10 Flow Cytometer to facilitate rapid and simple cellular analysis.
- Thermo Scientifice NanoDrop spectrophotometer for quantification of DNA.
- Polarstar Optima filter-based multidetection microplate reader offering 5 detection modes including chemiluminescence and simultaneous dual emission detection used for quantification of DNA by pico green method.
- MJ Research Programmable thermocyclers (4) for PCR.
- Electrophoresis apparatuses for RFLP and protein analyses.
- ABI Prism 7900 DNA Sequence Detector for TaqMan-based SNP analysis.
Last modified January 15 2015 02:43 PM