Diversity at UVM
The University of Vermont is committed to a culture of diversity and respect. UVM's Our Common Ground values statement recognizes that we are strengthened by our diverse perspectives, and that we must challenge injustice toward any member of our community.
Our Campus Partner: The UVM Diversity & Equity Unit
The mission of the Diversity & Equity Unit is to engage the University community in a collaboration to create an environment of social justice, inclusion, and equity, and, in so doing, help facilitate the actualization of the vision of the University as a diverse premier public research university. Offices of the Diversity and Equity Unit include:
The Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, which ensures compliance with state and federal laws and university policies related to discrimination, so that every member and prospective member of the campus community will receive fair and equal treatment and opportunity.
The ALANA Student Center, which works to support the holistic development of ALANA and Bi/Multi-racial students so they attain their goals for wellness, academic achievement, personal growth, identity formation, community building and cultural advancement.
The Center for Cultural Pluralism, which strives to equip faculty, staff and students with the cultural and social justice competencies necessary to function at their best in their intellectual, leadership and pedagogical practices, so the University can provide the highest quality education.
The LGBTQA Center joins with others at UVM to: inspire personal growth and empowerment; nurture community; educate for social justice; and advocate for liberation, the freedom to live openly in an affirming community for all people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning, and everyone who aspires to be their advocates.
The UVM Women's Center, which supports all facets of women's lives, including the social, professional, spiritual, physical, intellectual & emotional, to empower women and their allies to become active leaders and global citizens in their communities.
Statement on Diversity & Inclusion
The University of Vermont College of Medicine values diversity as a driver of excellence. We actively seek diversity and inclusion within our academic community of students, faculty, and staff, as well as those we serve through teaching, research, patient care and community engagement.
Recognizing the limited ethnic and racial diversity of Vermont, we will actively seek students, faculty and staff to develop an academic community that is more diverse than the population of our State. We believe the ethnic and racial diversity of our College is an asset in teaching, research and patient care, and we strive to develop culturally competent students and graduates who reflect and understand the increasingly diverse populations they will serve here in Vermont, across the nation and around the world.
In alignment with the mission of the University of Vermont and the College of Medicine to serve the citizens of Vermont, we seek to educate and provide physicians for the state of Vermont. We will work to encourage Vermonters to pursue careers in medicine, and actively recruit and educate Vermonters who are more likely to stay and practice in the state. We aim to provide the opportunity for exposure to a faculty and to patient populations that are more diverse than the population of our state by developing clinical training sites outside of Vermont.
We define ethnic and racial diversity in alignment with the University of Vermont ALANA (African, Latino/a, Asian, and Native American) classification. We embrace diversity in its broadest forms, encompassing and exploring the dimensions of not only racial and ethnic diversity, but also gender, gender identity,religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and life experience. We strive to provide an education and a culture that is accepting and supportive of this broader diversity. We are guided by the tenets in UVM: Our Common Ground and are committed to creating a culture that supports and encourages respect for every individual and celebrates our diverse backgrounds.
Our Common Ground
- RESPECT: We respect each other. We listen to each other, encourage each other and care about each other. We are strengthened by our diverse perspectives.
- INTEGRITY: We value fairness, straightforward conduct, adherence to the facts, and sincerity. We acknowledge when things have not turned out the way we had hoped. As stewards of the University of Vermont, we are honest and ethical in all responsibilities entrusted to us.
- INNOVATION: We want to be at the forefront of change and believe that the best way to lead is to learn from our successes and mistakes and continue to grow. We are forward-looking and break new ground in addressing important community and societal needs.
- OPENNESS:We encourage the open exchange of information and ideas from all quarters of the community. We believe that through collaboration and participation, each of us has an important role in determining the direction and well-being of our community.
- JUSTICE: As a just community, we unite against all forms of injustice, including, but not limited to, racism. We reject bigotry, oppression, degradation, and harassment, and we challenge injustice toward any member of our community. We work actively to eliminate discrimination in health care, as well as barriers to health, and to advocate for the availability of health care for all.
- RESPONSIBILITY: We are personally and collectively responsible for our words and deeds. We stand together to uphold our common ground.
Last modified July 04 2014 07:49 PM