Physician Payments "Sunshine Act"
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services gave presentations in December of 2013 and January of 2014 regarding the new Sunshine Act. The two presentations are different and each one provides valuable information, which you may find helpful.
Some important information to keep in mind:
- This will affect Doctors of Medicine/Osteopathy, Dental Surgery/Dental Medicine, Podiatric Medicine, Optometry and Licensed Chiropractors.
- CME Exemptions:
- Faculty honoraria and travel expenses are exempt from reporting provided that it is an accredited CME educational activity offering AMA credit and that the manufacturer did not suggest any speakers for the program.
- Participant meals are excluded if it cannot be determined which participants partook in the refreshments such as with a buffet.
- Important dates:
- Early 2014: Industry begins submitting data from August-December, 2013
- September, 2014 - Posting becomes public on CMS website
- Physicians are encouraged to register with the CMS and download a free mobile phone App ("Open Payments Mobile for Physicians"). This will allow individuals to be notified if information is reported about them, and will allow time to dispute any inaccuracies before the information becomes public in September.
Last modified April 25 2014 10:16 AM