Plan a CME Activity
As an accredited sponsor of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), The University of Vermont Office of Continuing Medical Education (OCME) is ultimately responsible for all aspects of a program for which it designates AMA PRA Category 1 creditTM. In order to ensure that all the requirements mandated by the ACCME are met, the following guidelines are presented to assist applicants in preparing the CME Application for Credit.
- Planning documents must be completed prior to the educational activity. Credit cannot be awarded retroactively. Completed applications must be delivered to the Office of CME no later than 30 days prior to the start of the activity or 90 days for jointly sponsored events.
- Each proposed program must:
- Clearly identify 2 Gaps - What is the problem/fact that you want to address?
- Documentation for each gap - How do you know that the problem/fact exists?
- Need - Why does it exist?
- Objectives - How do you plan to change it?
- Measurement process - Were you effective in making a change? Does the problem still exist? Were there any barriers preventing change?
- A Planning Committee comprised of three members actively involved in the development and organization of the program will be necessary. The committee must include one UVM physician faculty member who will be designated as the CME representative, and who will assume full responsibility for the educational activity by signing the application for credit.
- Disclosure/Attestation Statements must be generated and signed by the course director, planning committee members, and all speakers.
- A specific program schedule (including lecture times, speakers, degrees) must accompany the application. When distributing brochures, flyers or other program announcements, a copy of the proposed piece must be reviewed and approved by OCME prior to printing.
- Precise and accurate accreditation language must appear on all program brochures, flyers or announcements.
- Commercial support for an approved CME activity may be accepted. The OCME requires a signed Letter of Agreement from each organization. Please note that the OCME assesses a 5% fee on all commercial support received. Please refer to the ACCME Standards for Commercial Support.
- An evaluation format must be utilized to assess whether or not the objectives of the activity were met. A sample of the evaluation tool to be used must accompany the application.
- Measurement of your gap must be received 3-4 months after the activity.
- Application/Planning Document (PDF)
- Application/Planning Document (Word)
- Application Checklist (PDF)
- AMA Wording (PDF) *UPDATED 11/12/14*
Speaker/Planning Committee Forms
- Biographical Data Form (PDF)
- Biographical Data Form (Word)
- Full Disclosure Statement/Attestation Form (PDF)
- Full Disclosure Statement/Attestation Form (Word)
- Jointly Sponsored Attestation Form (Word)
- Conflict of Interest Resolution Form (Word)
- Standards for Commercial Support
- Exhibit Form (Word)
- Commercial Support Form (Word)
- Definition of Commercial Support
- University of Vermont/The University of Vermont Medical Center Grand Rounds Monitoring Form (Word)
- Regional Hospital Grand Rounds Monitoring Form (Word)
- Monitoring Form PowerPoint Slide (PowerPoint)
- University of Vermont/University of Vermont Medical Center Conference Disclosure Information for Syllabus (Word)
- Jointly Sponsored Conference Disclosure Information for Syllabus (Word)
- Checklist for Issuance of Certificates (Word)
Multiple Speaker Evaluation
- Multiple Speaker Evaluation Form (University of Vermont and The University of Vermont Medical Center) (Word)
- Multiple Speaker Evaluation Form (Jointly Sponsored) (Word)
- Brochure Checklist (PDF)
Enduring Materials/On-line Activities
- 2014 Annual Meeting of Coordinators for CME Activities Presentation Slides (PowerPoint)
- Sample Performance Gaps and Desired Outcomes
- Disclosure Instructions (PDF)
- Tips for Successful Needs Assessment/Gap Analysis (PDF)
- Level II Gap Assessment Sample (PDF)
- Level III Gap Assessment Sample (PDF)
- Guidelines for Writing Educational Objectives (PDF)
- Helpful Hints (PDF)
- The ACCME's Essential Areas and Their Elements (PDF)
- 2012 CME Survey on Provider Barriers (PDF)
- 2012 CME Survey on Provider Challenges (PDF)
Last modified February 26 2015 11:32 AM