Plan an Activity
As an accredited sponsor of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), The University of Vermont Office of Continuing Medical Education (OCME) is ultimately responsible for all aspects of a program for which it designates AMA PRA Category 1 creditTM. In order to ensure that all the requirements mandated by the ACCME are met, the following guidelines are presented to assist applicants in preparing the CME Application for Credit.
- We have moved to an online Application/Planning Document module within our "My Credits" CME Trackin System. All Programs must apply online. Planning documents must be completed prior to the educational activity. Credit cannot be awarded retroactively. Completed applications must be completed no later than 30 days prior to the start of the activity or 90 days for jointly sponsored events.
- Each proposed program must:
- Clearly identify a Gap - What is the problem/fact that you want to address?
- Need - Why does it exist? How do you know that the problem/ fact exists?
- Objectives - How do you plan to change it?
- Measurement process - Were you effective in making a change? Does the problem still exist? Were there any barriers preventing change?
- A Planning Committee comprised of three members actively involved in the development and organization of the program will be necessary. The committee must include one physician course director who will assume full responsibility for the eudcational activity. We encourage Interprofessional Education (IPE): Planning by the team and for the team. If you are developing an IPE, please include the team members who represent your target audience. For example, if you are planning an activity targeted toward physicians and nurses, then a physician and nurse should be planning the activity together and both should be identified on the planning committee. If you would like to develop an IPE activity but need help putting together the appropriate planning team, please contact the CME Office for assistance.
- Please list all course director(s), planning committee members and faculty on the Leadership tab of the application. They will receive an auto-generated email to sign off on their disclosure form. Once you receive their informatin, if they indicate a possible conflict of interest, you will need to complete and upload a Conflict of Interest Resolution form under the suppoprting documentation tab.
- A specific program schedule (including lecture times, speakers, degrees) must accompany the application.
- An evaluation form must be utilized to assess whether or not the objectives of the activity were met. You may use the standard form within the online system or you can upload a copy of what you will be using.
- Precise and accurate accreditation language must appear on all program brochures, flyers or announcements.
- Commercial support for an approved CME activity may be accepted. The OCME requires a signed Letter of Agreement from each organization. Please note that the OCME assesses a 5% fee on all commercial support received. Please refer to the ACCME Standards for Commercial Support.
- An evaluation format must be utilized to assess whether or not the objectives of the activity were met. A sample of the evaluation tool to be used must accompany the application.
- Measurement of your post activity assessment must be received 3-4 months after the activity.
- AMA Wording and Accreditation Statement Questions *UPDATED 3/2/2016*
- Commercial Support Agreement Form
- Conflict of Interest Resolution Form
- Grand Rounds Monitoring Form UVM
- Grand Rounds Monitoring Form Regional Hospital
- PPT Monitoring Form UVM
- Conference Disclosure
- Sample Exhibitor Form
- 2012 CME Survey on Provider Barriers
- 2012 CME Survey on Provider Challenges
- 2014 Annual Meeting of Coordinators for CME Activities Presentation Slides
- 2015 CME Survey on IPE Topic Suggestions
- 2015 CME Survey on Barriers by Provider Type
- Disclosure Instructions
- Effective Use of ARS (Audience Response Systems)
- Guidelines for Writing Educational Objectives
- Helpful Hints
- Level II Gap Assessment Sample
- Level III Gap Assessment Sample
- The ACCME's Essential Areas and Their Elements
- Tips for Successful Needs Assessment/Gap Analysis
- Sample Performance Gaps and Desired Outcomes
- Sample Evaluation
Last modified June 08 2016 01:28 PM