Welcome to The UVM Medical Group
By the Numbers
- Serve a population of one million people
- 562 licensed beds (excluding nursery); 440 staffed
- 2,183 births
- 50,419 inpatient and outpatient admissions
- 60,356 emergency department visits
- 1.1 million physician encounters
- 2.4 million lab tests
- $9.1 million in charity care
- 342 active research projects
- 153 principal investigators
- $93 million in extramural research awards
- 11 clinical departments
- 5 basic science departments
- More than 6,800 Fletcher Allen employees (including per diem & part-time)
- 480 UVM Medical Group physicians (770 total medical staff)
- 553 UVM College of Medicine clinical faculty
- 76 UVM College of Medicine basic science faculty
- 147 advanced practice RNs/physician assistants
- 60 fellows in 23 fellowship programs
- 230 residents in 16 programs
- More than 1,500 nurses
- 450 medical students
- 754 nursing & health sciences students
As academic physicians at a university hospital, we provide services of extensive breadth and depth to the people of Vermont and Northern New York. We are a self-governed group that gives physicians the opportunity to be involved in teaching and research, as well as clinical activities and leadership initiatives.
Our goal is to recruit and retain the world’s best faculty. Our physicians are the editors of leading journals, sit on national boards, publish extensively, and receive international attention for their research and clinical achievements.
Here you will have the career opportunities you’d find in a large urban academic medical center, combined with the quality of life and beautiful natural setting that only Vermont can offer.
This is a great place to practice medicine and challenge yourself academically. We have a clear mission, clear goals, and a track record that speaks for itself.
Howard Schapiro, M.D.
Interim President and CEO of the UVM Medical Group
"Every day at Fletcher Allen, we provide innovative, high-quality care informed by the latest academic research. As Vermont’s academic medical center, the region depends on us to deliver these services to improve the health and wellbeing of the communities we serve."
John R. Brumsted, M.D.,
President and CEO
Fletcher Allen Health Care
Frederick C. Morin III, M.D.
Dean, UVM College of Medicine
The UVM Medical Group offers you the opportunity to make a difference. The opportunity to lead.
University of Vermont Medical Group faculty physicians are leaders regionally, nationally and internationally.
We have experts in nearly every specialty and subspecialty. Our size and collaborative environment offers talented academic physicians the opportunity to develop and lead new programs and initiatives. No one is anonymous here, and we are proud that every physician makes a difference.
The UVM College of Medicine is physically connected to the Medical Center Campus of Fletcher Allen Health Care, making professional collaboration and the collegial exchange of ideas a daily reality.
We live and practice in a close-knit community, giving you the opportunity to have an impact – both professionally and personally. Often times, we care for our friends and neighbors, so we can see firsthand how what we do makes a difference.
Here you’ll find the opportunity to teach, conduct research, and practice academic medicine in one of America’s most livable areas.
Last modified May 13 2013 08:30 AM