UVM College of Medicine Marathon Team
On Sunday, May 25, 2014 theUniversity of Vermont College of Medicine Marathon and Running Team will be running the Keybank Vermont City Marathon to raise funds and awareness for the Steps to Wellness Program at the Vermont Cancer Center.
STEPS TO WELLNESS:
Steps to Wellness is an oncology rehabilitation and research program at UVM and The University of Vermont Medical Center’s Vermont Cancer Center. The free rehabilitation program is offered to cancer patients and aims to help them maintain function during initial oncology therapy and then provides a pathway toward improved fitness and quality of life after initial therapy. The program includes a physical therapy evaluation, medical assessment, individualized exercise prescription, education, and the collection of physiological and psychological measures to evaluate and improve the program. Research is being done as part of the program with the goal of improving cancer care and quality of life for patients as well as documenting the benefits of rehabilitation for cancer survivors.
- Founded in 2007 by graduates, Dave Diller, M.D.'11 & Matt Meyer, M.D.'11.
- Raised over $130,000 for the College since 2007!
- In 2011, Jonathan Severy, M.D.'11 and Megan Malgieri, M.D.'12 were the first Vermont Man & Vermont Woman to cross the finish line!
- Supported Pediatric Cancer Research from 2008 - 2011.
- The Team began supporting Steps to Wellness in 2012.
"Our Mission is to promote unity and wellness amongst our class while engaging friends, family and community members in support of 'Steps To Wellnes', a cancer patient rehabilitation and research program that is happening right here in Vermont in the Vermont Cancer Center at the UVM College of Medicine."
Last modified November 24 2014 10:42 AM