University of Vermont

College of Medicine

Office of Primary Care and Area Health Education Centers (AHEC) Program


Health Professions Students and Residents

Photo of medical students standing and reviewing images xray images on screen

The Vermont AHEC Program provides students and those in their residency training in primary care with services while they are off-campus in clinical rotations in Vermont. Students and residents eligible for AHEC services must be in one of the following disciplines: Dental residents; Medical students and residents in Family Practice, Internal Medicine, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, and Psychiatry; Nursing bachelors and masters level students; Physical Therapy students and Social Work bachelors and masters level students. The Regional AHECs can provide information on local communities, assist you with housing forms, and more. The Regional AHECs are incredible resources so make sure to contact them when you go out on your rotation.

Please contact the Northeastern VT AHEC, located in St. Johnsbury, if you will be in Caledonia, Essex, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, or Washington counties; Champlain Valley AHEC, located in St. Albans, if you will be in Addison, Chittenden, Franklin, or Grand Isle counties; or Southern VT AHEC, in Springfield, if you will be in Bennington, Rutland, Windham, or Windsor counties.

Vermont County Profiles for Medical and Health Sciences Students/Residents

Vermont County Profiles were created and are updated periodically to provide health professions students and medical residents with an overview of Vermont communities where they may complete rotations or community-based projects.

In order to fully understand a population, it is essential to understand the community in which they live. These profiles will provide a community context for clinical rotations in practices and projects outside the home base of the academic medical center.

The document above this section (in bold type) contains the complete booklet with a state overview and all counties described. The Vermont County Profiles Statewide Introduction section below this paragraph offers an overview of Vermont with health-related information. County-specific documents follow the statewide overview; we suggest using the statewide overview with the county where a rotation or community-based project will be completed.

The following PDFs are the section-by-section/county-specific subsets of the Vermont County Profiles for Medical and Health Sciences Students/Residents - ALL COUNTIES document above.

Community-Based Housing

Short-term housing is provided to students and residents during off-campus rotations in Vermont, at least 25 miles from campus. AHEC requires at least one month to schedule housing. If you would like to be provided with housing during your off-campus rotation you should request it through the Clerkship or Residency Scheduling Coordinator who is scheduling your rotation.

Physician Placement Services

The University of Vermont Medical Center residents and fellows seeking to practice in Vermont, in any specialty, have access to the AHEC Freeman Physician Placement Specialist, Melissa Liebig. Placement services include: letting residents/fellows know where the physician openings are in their specialty; connecting them to the appropriate contact for the opening; and letting them know about national and state educational loan repayment opportunities for primary care positions. The University of Vermont Medical Center residents and fellows interested in practicing in Vermont should contact:

Melissa Liebig, MA
AHEC Freeman Physician Placement Specialist

Educational Loan Repayment Program

The Vermont Educational Loan Repayment Program for Healthcare Professionals funded by the State of Vermont through the Department of Health, and is administered by the University of Vermont College of Medicine Area Health Education Centers (AHEC) Program. The goal of this program is to ensure a stable and adequate supply of healthcare practitioners to meet the health care needs of Vermonters.

Who may be eligible?

  • Primary Care Practitioners
  • Nurses
  • Dentists
  • Nurse Educator/Faculty

View the Educational Loan Repayment Program page for information about eligibility and application requirements.

Last modified January 22 2016 02:29 PM