College of Medicine Facts & Figures
The college received nearly 6,000 applications for 114 positions in the Class of 2017, who began their first year in August 2013.
Class of 2016
- Median undergraduate GPA: 3.70
- Median MCAT — Verbal: 10.0
- Median MCAT — Physical Science: 10.0
- Median MCAT — Biological Science: 11.0
- Students with research experience: 82%
Students come from 30 states across the U.S.
Class of 2013
2013 graduates went on to residencies at 58 institutions across the nation, including Yale-New Haven Hospital, University of Rochester, Tufts Medical Center, Stanford University, Rhode Island Hospital/Brown University, University of North Carolina, Mayo Clinic Hospitals, the Lahey Clinic, Duke University Medical Center, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Cleveland Clinic, Case Western Reserve University, Brigham & Women's Hospital, and UVM/The University of Vermont Medical Center.
- Number of living alumni of the College: 4,260
- Percentage of Alumni who practice in New England: 43%
- Percentage of Vermont physicians educated or trained at the academic medical center: 38%
- Percentage of Alumni who contribute philanthropically: 37%
(Market Value as of June 2013)
- 2013 Department Support: $69,862,436
- Scholarship: $24,188,524
- Total Endowment Value: $94,050,960
Private Gift Revenues
Private philanthropy to the College of Medicine from alumni, friends, and organizations totaled $13.6 million for fiscal year 2013. For more detailed information about philanthropy, see page 46 in the 2013 Year in Review
- Basic Science: 63
- Clinical (full time): 576
- Volunteer (Vt., Maine, Conn., N.Y., Fla.): 1,207
- Staff: 473
- Basic Science: 4
- Clinical: 11
- Total dollars $68 million
A total of 308 research projects were active at the College in 2013. College of Medicine funding represents nearly 64 percent of total UVM research funding. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) supported three Centers of Biomedical Research Excellence at UVM during 2013, that focused on neuroscience, immunology, and lung biology, and in the fall of 2013 a new COBRE supported the foundation of the Vermont Center on Behavior and Health.
Total Area: 566,500 sq. ft.
- Given Building: 196,000 sq. ft.
- Health Science Research Facility: 110,000 sq. ft.
- Courtyard at Given: 31,000 sq. ft.
- Robert Larner, M.D. Medical Education Center: 44,000 sq. ft.
- Stafford Hall: 70,000 sq. ft.
- Colchester Research Facility: 72,000 sq. ft.
- DeGoesbriand: 20,000 sq. ft.
- Others: 23,500 sq. ft.
Last modified November 12 2014 12:49 PM