College of Medicine Facts & Figures
The college received more than 5,400 applications for 114 positions in the Class of 2016, who began their first year in August 2012.
Class of 2016
- Median undergraduate GPA: 3.70
- Median MCAT — Verbal: 10.0
- Median MCAT — Physical Science: 10.0
- Median MCAT — Biological Science: 10.0
- Students with research experience: 90%
Students come from 19 states across the U.S. and three countries.
Class of 2012
2012 graduates went on to residencies at 63 institutions across the nation, including Yale-New Haven Hospital, Rhode Island Hospital/Brown, the Duke University Medical Center, University of Rochester, John Hopkins Hospital, the Lahey Clinic, Einstein/Montefiore Medical Center, Stanford University, and Fletcher Allen Health Care.
- Number of living alumni of the College: 4,335
- Percentage of Alumni who practice in New England: 43%
- Percentage of Vermont physicians educated or trained at the academic medical center: 38%
- Percentage of Alumni who contribute philanthropically: 37%
The College is among the top medical schools in the nation for percentage of medical alumni who give each year.
(Market Value as of June 2012)
- 2011 Department Support: $60,717,856
- Scholarship: $23,961,804
- Total Endowment Value: $84,679,660
Private Gift Revenues
Private philanthropy to the College of Medicine from alumni, friends, and organizations totaled $7.1 million for fiscal year 2012. For more detailed information about philanthropy, see page 44 in the 2012 Year in Review
- Basic Science: 85
- Clinical: 550
- Volunteer (Vt., Maine, Conn., N.Y., Fla.): 1,075
- Staff: 403
- Basic Science: 5
- Clinical: 11
- Total dollars $68.69 million
A total of 298 research projects were active at the College in 2012. College of Medicine funding represents more than 53 percent of the total UVM research funding. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) support three Centers of Biomedical Research Excellence at UVM, that focus on neuroscience, lung biology, and immunobiology.
Total Area . 566,500 sq. ft.
- Given Building: 196,000 sq. ft.
- Health Science Research Facility: 110,000 sq. ft.
- Courtyard at Given: 31,000 sq. ft.
- Robert Larner, M.D. Medical Education Center: 44,000 sq. ft.
- Stafford Hall: 70,000 sq. ft.
- Colchester Research Facility: 72,000 sq. ft.
- DeGoesbriand: 20,000 sq. ft.
- Others: 23,500 sq. ft.
The College also maintains the Clinical Simulation Laboratory in cooperation with the College of Nursing & Health Sciences. New facilities projects include Given Research Labs, and, at the Colchester Research Facility, an Inhalation Facility, and COBRE Immunology Lab. The State Public Health Collaboration broke ground in December 2012.
Last modified October 08 2013 03:14 PM