Message from the Dean
Welcome to the College of Medicine at the University of Vermont.
We were the seventh medical school established in the United States, and have a rich tradition of providing innovative medical education as well as outstanding research and patient care.
Our faculty and graduates are dedicated, talented people who have contributed to virtually every area of modern medicine.
We graduate over 100 physicians and 20 biomedical Ph.D.s each year and have powerful programs in cardiovascular diseases, the neurosciences, lung disease, diabetes, and many other areas.
Frederick C. Morin III, M.D.
Dean, UVM College of Medicine
About the College of Medicine
For nearly 200 years, the University of Vermont College of Medicine has educated physicians and scientists, conducted world class biomedical research, and partnered in caring for patients and their families. Today, we enjoy:
- Nearly $80 million in external grant funding;
- A new 9,000 square foot Clinical Simulation Laboratory;
- An award-winning integrated curriculum that gives students an early advantage;
- International recognition for research-based expertise, clinical and teaching excellence and strong community partnerships.
In addition to roles as researchers and educators, our faculty physicians provide patient care at Fletcher Allen Health Care. The academic medical center formed by our alliance with Fletcher Allen Health Care and the UVM College of Nursing & Health Sciences, serves as the resource for Vermont and the region.
Our Burlington home is nestled between the shores of Lake Champlain and the vistas of the Green Mountains.
We are located on the University of Vermont campus, and adjacent to Fletcher Allen Health Care, fostering a culture of collaboration and partnership.
The Vision of the University of Vermont (UVM) is to be among the nation’s premier small research universities, preeminent in our comprehensive commitment to liberal education, environment, health, and public service.
In support of this vision, the Mission of the UVM College of Medicine is to educate a diverse group of dedicated physicians and biomedical scientists to serve across all the disciplines of medicine; to bring hope to patients by advancing medical knowledge through research; to integrate education and research to advance the quality and accessibility of patient care; and to engage with our communities to benefit Vermont and the world.
Our goal is to create an environment that supports the education of physicians and scientists who will go on to serve, contribute to and thrive in a multicultural local and global community.
- Diversity & Inclusion at the UVM College of Medicine
- Workforce Diversity Recruitment and Retention Best Practices (PDF)
The University of Vermont and Fletcher Allen Health Care have been recognized nationally for their green initiatives.
- The College of Medicine's Courtyard at Given facility received Gold LEED Certification and Efficiency Vermont “Best of the Best Award.”
- Fletcher Allen Health Care has been recognized for its efforts to be the greenest healthcare organization in the country and their environmental leadership.
- UVM’s Office of Sustainability approaches efforts academically and culturally while holding the campus accountable.
Last modified February 12 2013 09:45 AM