Become a Certified Master Composter Volunteer
Join a growing team of volunteers trained to share composting knowledge with friends, neighbors and communities!
As a Vermont Master Composter volunteer, you will be trained in the basic concepts of backyard composting and community outreach and have the knowledge and resources to train and encourage others to live a more sustainable lifestyle. Get support from a growing network of Master Composters, and work with others to plan regional outreach activities.
To become a Vermont Master Composter volunteer, you'll need to:
1. Complete the Vermont Master Composter Course
- Taught over a 4-week session.
- Training takes place online.
- Curriculum covers the fundamentals of backyard composting, including: composting methods, recipes, biology, compost use for disease control, site and container selection and Vermont's new Universal Recycling Law.
At the completion of the program you will also be familiar with community outreach basics for holding courses, putting on displays, or doing other volunteer work that contributes to the sustainable use of organic materials.
2. Volunteer for Community Outreach
- Complete 20 hours of approved volunteer community outreach within two years of completing the coursework.
Examples of typical volunteer work include running community or school composting projects, providing information to others through talks and displays at fairs, farmers' markets and other outlets, or assisting with UVM Extension Master Gardener projects that have a composting component.
Though these programs are separate, Vermont Master Composter volunteer hours can also be applied as Extension Master Gardener volunteer hours.
Continue the good work!
To maintain active status as a certified Vermont Master Composter, you must complete at least 5 hours per year of community outreach and maintain registration through annual completion of required forms.
For more information, please call the Extension Master Gardener administrative office at (802) 656-9562 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last modified November 02 2017 12:00 PM