The Learning Co-op
English Language Learners (ELL)
- We provide direct services to ELL students through individual outreach, consultation, and educational programs.
- We connect ELL students to campus resources, such as learning skills, subject area tutoring and the Writing Center.
- We facilitate access to class notes and extended time on tests.
- We offer a peer-mentoring program Cultural Cats which provides an opportunity for ELL students to meet and chat with fluent English speaking volunteers on campus.
- We provide support in case of any other issues, questions, and concerns students may be facing in regards to the English language or UVM culture and educational requirements.
Our learning skills tutors have been trained in both learning skills strategies and ELL principles. They are available to help students develop better study and strategy skills as well as teach students how to manage one’s time and prioritize homework assignments. In short, sessions with a learning skills tutor focus on:
- Reading Comprehension
- Textbook reading strategies
- Time management
- Test-taking strategies
Last modified September 14 2011 01:37 PM