You searched for: all images in the database. Here are the results:
Aerial View of Burlington and Lake
- 1953 - 1959
- This image shows an aerial view of the city of Burlington with Lake Champlain in the foreground. The breakwater for the harbor cuts across the foreground with a large boat, possibly a ferry, between the breakwater and the shore. The shoreline has a variety of industrial and commercial buildings including the Moran Plant towards the left. Battery Park is just above the Moran Plant. The city extends into the background with numerous buildings. The main business district, at center, has large brick buildings with residential neighborhoods along the outskirts of the city. Deciduous trees follow along the streets and become more prevalent on the outskirts in the residential neighborhoods. The lack of a treatment plant limits the date of this photograph. Notice the light colored plume, in the water, along the shore towards the right. Is this sediment...industrial runoff? Note that to the far right, beyond the breakwater, it appears to be moved by wave action. The season is summer.
- 5884 x 4664 pixels; 2839246 bytes
- Original Filename:
- Boats and Boating; Boatyards; Buildings; Chimneys; Cities and towns; City trees; Commercial buildings; Culture; Culture; Deciduous; Dwellings; Ferries; Forests and Plants; Geology; Hills; Human Activity; Human Constructs; Industrial buildings; Lakes; Landforms; Landscapes; Living Things; Nature; Recreation; Recreation; Human Activities; Trees;
- Burlington Department of Parks and Recreation
- Submitted By:
- Michala Peabody
- Submitted On:
- Original Media:
- Aerial Photograph
- Relative Dating Rationale:
- Moran Plant constructed in 1953. Appears to have been taken before urban renewal.
- Times viewed: