You searched for: all images in the database. Here are the results:
Entrance to the Slate Quarry
- 1868 - 1890
- Stereoview shows entrance to Northfield Slate Quarry. Man standing in center. Esther Munroe Swift writes on 2005-3-7: Hamilton Child's Gazetteer & Business Directory c.1889 says the slate qarry shown in this image was opened about 1868 by a Boston concern under the name of Adams Slate & Tile Company, some years later the business changed hands and became The Hillside Slate Company, and lastly in 1885 The Northfield Black Slate Company. Childs wrote, "The production is about 3,000 squares per year & for depth & durability of color, softness & tenacity of texture, this slate is unsurpassed by any in America."
- 3514 x 2456 pixels; 5295490 bytes
- Original Filename:
- Culture; Earth Materials; Geology; Human Activity; Men; Nature; People; Quarries and quarrying; Rocks; Rocks,Sedimentary; Slate; Slate industry; Work;
- Special Collections, Bailey/Howe Library, University of Vermont
- Submitted By:
- Elizabeth Stanley Mann
- Submitted On:
- Original Media:
- Relative Dating Rationale:
- Quarry opened around 1868. Stereoview.
- Times viewed: