You searched for: all images in the database. Here are the results:
Active Work at the Barre Granite Quarry
- 1880 - 1920
- The historic image shows several derricks used to remove large granite pieces from this quarry. One large slab of this igneous rock is hanging in mid air. The granite is fractured with joints and there are many large angular blocks of rock on the side of the quarry. A ladder leads into or out of the quarry and in the distance are more derricks and the woods. There are several houses or building in the woods. Esther Munroe Swift, PhD writes on 2004-12-23: Hamilton Child's Gazetteer of Washington County. c. 1889 lists 18 granite quarries in Barre: Carnes & Kane; Harlen Cheney; Lucius Cheney; Duffy & George; Forsyth & Ingraham; Richard A. Hoar; Jones Brothers, John Magoon; Mann Brothers; Martin C. Burton; Horatio N. Parkhurst; E.L. Smith & Co.; Vermont Granite; Weells Lamson & Co.; Wetmore & Morse Granite; Pliny O. Wheaton; George S. & Harvey P. Wheeler.
- 1986 x 1400 pixels; 218036 bytes
- Original Filename:
- 355BARRY GRANITE QUARRY.JPG
- Earth Materials; Quarries and quarrying; Boulders; Boys; Bridges; Buildings; Business; Conifers; Cranes,derricks,etc.; Culture; Deciduous; Dwellings; Earth Materials; Earthwork; Electric lines--Poles and towers; Excavation; Forests and Plants; Geology; Granite; Granite industry and trade; Hills; Historic mines; Human Activity; Human Constructs; Landforms; Living Things; Machinery; Mines and mineral resources; Nature; Outcrops (Geology); People; Rock excavation; Rocks; Rocks,Igneous; Season; Sediments (Geology); Summer; Time; Trees; Work;
- Special Collections, Bailey/Howe Library, University of Vermont
- Submitted By:
- Submitted On:
- Original Media:
- Relative Dating Rationale:
- Clothing. Height of granite prosperity in Barre.
- Times viewed: